Driver's side remote mirror

• Does anybody know if all of these interfere with the vent window if they were installed? I can't open my vent window and want to know if it was my mistake or the factory.

Let me know and thanks, Wally

• The remote mirror needs to be mounted in different holes further to the rear of the door than a standard mirror to clear the wing window. I added a pair (matching passenger's side) to my 66 hardtop by eyeball. Well actually by using my "K" car's mirror mountings as a guide. The front edge of the mirror should be about 12 3/4 inches from the "drop" bend at the front of the door panel. If this an upgrade, there will be a hole (on each door) where the front mounting hole of the standard mirror was. I put a rubber washer and chrome screw in that hole to be covered with bondo at repainting time.

Jim

• I asked this same question before.

I have a 100% positive original 66 and the mirror hits the vent glass.

I think some folks speculated that the mirrors were shipped in the trunk and installed by the dealer???

• I have two 65's one early one late... the early car (October 64) the vent wing hits mirrors .. the late car( july 65) the vent wing did not hit the mirrors... when I restored the car I had to replace the door and used a template from VA mustangs to install the new mirrors I purchased.(using the template allows the vent wings to open) you may also want to check out the thread that discusses the Visibility group option for more discussion on this topic.

• There's probably a half inch or more of room to adjust the vent window back and forth. The cars that have the glass hitting the mirrors, have the vent windows been out and/or the doors replaced? Think we ought to limit this to cars that are known to be original as a more accurate reference.

• Charles make a great point about the removal and or realignment of the wing window frame, but that's not the problem or the question. Mine is factory installed (San Jose, Oct 65) and clears, not by much, but enough. On a new installation of a remote mirror, put down some masking tape and dry fit the mirror. Use a helper to hold it in place. Keep in mind that the base can move side to side enough to cause the window to hit if done wrong. Use some common sense. Remember Norm from "This Old House", measure twice, cut once. This is not rocket science.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!