GT stripe color on Red Fastback

• A red 65 Mustang GT could have either white GT stripes or black. The stripe's color depended on the interior color. Your black interior car should have black stripes.

Jim

• What makes you so sure that your Kar is not a factory GT? I believe that there have been a few documented that were built in February of 1965, I know that the magic April 17 date (one year after the first introduction of the Mustang in 1964) is when Ford officially introduced the "Pony" interior and the GT package but again there are many legitimate factory built GTs built before that.

I agree with the stripe color issue-to match it to the interior, however I went with a RED stripe on mine as my Kar is tripple Black and I don't think a Black stripe would have shown up very well.

• I agree with the stripe color issue-to match it to the interior, [/quote]

Red stripe on a red car with a red interior ? I dont think so

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Red stripe on a red car with a red interior ? I dont think so

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Ford wasn't that screwed up. Black strips were not offered on black cars, red stripes were not offered on red cars, etc. As to a black on black combination, I think the stripe color would have been red but it turns out to have been white. A red on red combination would have been black for candyapple red and white for signalflare red. My silver blue "K" GT has a blue/white Pony interior and white stripes. White was the only stripe color offered even with a black interior. My white 65 GT with black interior has black stripes, my white 66 GT with red interior has red stripes. What a dealer did, or what a owner did, or how a car was 'restored' after 43 plus years is another story.

Jim

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

What makes you so sure that your Kar is not a factory GT? I believe that there have been a few documented that were built in February of 1965, I know that the magic April 17 date (one year after the first introduction of the Mustang in 1964) is when Ford officially introduced the "Pony" interior and the GT package but again there are many legitimate factory built GTs built before that.

I agree with the stripe color issue-to match it to the interior, however I went with a RED stripe on mine as my Kar is tripple Black and I don't think a Black stripe would have shown up very well.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

According to the series of VIN #s right around my car it's actually a Jan car. The door plate is incorrect. Plus see the location of the exhaust brackets. They aren't in the correct location for a factory GT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramick…57604422139176/ And so does the steering box: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramick…57604422139176/

Good thing is that it originally had the Arvinode exhaust, so that's on my to-do list.

Looks like changing the car to a black stripe is on the list too.

• Just an opinion, but I think black stripes look better on the darker reds (like Rangoon), and for the lighter, more orangey reds (like Poppy) the white stripes look better.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!