Battery Clamp Correct style -24F - 22F

• I see a burgeoning market here; repro Autolite batteries with the tab notch and tabbed hold-downs sold as a kit! Someone get in touch with Mark Vasquez and have him get tooled up!

Edited by - round2K on 05/01/2009 17:41:09

• Okay, first test piece made. It has flaws,but then again I'll have to determine how much additional work is required to come up with a good painted piece. On this test, I used a piece that wasn't perfect. As you can see, the flaws got transfered. I'll keep you folks posted.

Mark Vasquez (bottom is original piece)

[Blocked Image: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/mmvprv/Battery-Clamp1.jpg]

Edited by - mmv.hipo on 05/05/2009 21:31:24

• My 13R 1965 car is fitted with a clamp that looks like neither of these, it is smaller, I will post a pic if needed. My question is what clamp should I have ? Thanks

• The casting process is proving to be quite cumbersome. Even if I cast a perfect piece, the new piece needs a lot of work to clean it up. Using a dremel or small grinder is a must. In addition, as you know with cast parts, they have small pits and minor imperfections. In creating a perfect piece, the cast part will have to have some form of bondo or metal filler applied to cover up the pits. This is proving to be a lot of work. I can do it, but it would raise the cost to where I feel it wouldn't be worth my time. What I might consider is casting the piece and then letting perspective buyers do their own clean up of the part. As you can see with these pictures, the battery hold down is not absolutely perfect as in stamped metal.

[Blocked Image: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/mmvprv/P5200046Medium.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/mmvprv/P5200047Medium.jpg]

all of your comments will be appreciated. I will only do a limited number of these castings.

Mark Vasquez

• Mark,

My only comment is your description of the manufacturing method, it is a stamped part, not cast. Having been in the sheet metal business (a sideline to the electronics assemby company I worked at), I would think there's at least a four step process to form the part. The finish would be either a dip or a spray (e-coat ?) using the mounting hole to hold it up to dry. The NOS one (for size 24) I have looks almost powder coated. As this is used around the battery, I would think that Ford would have used an acid resistant finish.

Jim

• Jim,

you are correct with the originals being stamped. I don't have access to any thing like that. What I'm attempting to do is create a limited part that can be used for the sole pupose of concourse judging. This piece is made from zinc aluminum which will not rust as the originals did. I'm being open about how it's made so everyone will have a choice as to whether they would want one or not.

Mark V.

• Mark - I'm still in for two or three. You're doing great! I applaud anyone willing to do the research and make the effort to put hard-to-find parts back on the shelf. The fastback screw covers you did turned out great!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!