Need Some Engine Work

• Hi Kar Guys: My 65K Conv has not been running right so I took it to a local reputable mechanic. Turns out I have a cracked piston ring and several other rings that did not seat properly from a prior owner's work. Leakdown test & cranking compressions are all pretty bad. So engines getting pulled and into the machine shop for likely reboring, etc. Assuming block does get rebored some questions I have and asking for some advice are: what new pistons would be advisable; probably will replace cam at this time - whose cam would you suggest. The car is street driven for pleasure only and I want to remain substantially stock. Is there anything else you guys would recommend doing as long as everything is apart? Thanks so much for your thoughts.

• The value in the car is in keeping it stock. Stock compression & pistons and a stock cam. If you have it properly tuned it will have plenty of horsepower. Balance it and do it right and you'll be glad you did.

You can buy the cam new from Marv Shaner. If you want NOS Fred Ballard might have one.

• Thanks for your comments Round2K. I agree - keeping it stock is important. Thanks for the advice on where to get a replacement cam. If the cylinders are rebored, could I still use stock pistons? Of course my mechanic will be giving me sound advice, I'm just anticipating things. Thanks again.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

If the cylinders are rebored, could I still use stock pistons?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes. Stock pistons come in several "sizes" including standard bore as well as oversize to work with blocks that have been bored.

• Actually, Ford never sold a replacement 289 HiPo piston other than standard size and .003" O/S. For high performance applications, Ford perferred you buy a service block. Aftermarket suppliers, however, did sell the more traditional oversizes. I came across a set of vintage TRW 289 HiPo pistons in .030" O/S at a swap meet once. They had the traditional long 289 skirts rather than the 302 skirts. They were forged. Got to work with slightly larger piston-to-cylinder clearances with forged pistons, but probably about as close to "stock" as you could ask for in a overbore 289 HiPo.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Actually, Ford never sold a replacement 289 HiPo piston other than standard size and .003" O/S...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I remember seeing the .003 oversize listed in my 1965 Ford MPC. I should have made this more clear in my post.

• Thanks guys for your comments. I see in Tony Gregory's 4th Ed. HIPO Mustang book he mentions a good piston replacement is the TRW Power Forged Series L-2482F. Would you guys recommend this option? Or suggest another? Thanks so much for your imput.

Bill G.

Toledo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!