Dip Stick Tube

• The dip stick tube on my 'K' Mustang looked a bit beat up so I decided to replace it. I bought two new ones several years back (I have more than one Mustang) and put them on the shelf. The replacement tubes would not fit. The diameter of the old tube is 0.371in, the diameter of both new tubes is 0.381in and the tube wall thickness is 0.025in. Stretching the tube end smaller or removing 0.005in of wall are not pratical. I pulled another 'not in pristine state' tube from a spare old engine that was assembled a month later than my 'K' engine and found it has a diameter of 0.371in. Not wanting to drill a larger hole in the timing cover, I used the one from the spare engine. I got the two new ones from National Parts Depot. Just a 'flag'.

Jim

• Jim, Who was the actual maker of the tube that you bought from NPD?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred,

I don't know. It was a couple of years back. They could very well have been on a card and I removed them for storage. They look good with a rubber protective cap over the bottom end that looks like it was used for hanging.

Jim

I found a microfiche reader for $10, some assembly and repairs required.

• Don't laugh now; stick the tube in the freezer overnight and then warm up the timing cover when you're ready to install. The fit on those things has always been ugly. Last time around I blasted the tube with Freon and it finally went in, but not without persuasion.

• I use that oven/freezer technique on my VW engines all the time. In my current situation, the timing cover is on the engine, the engine is in the car and the car is in the garage - with the dip stick tube from another engine. I got done what needed to get done, I just raised the 'flag'.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!