Rally Pac Restoration

• I have a rally pac (low profile) that I would like to refresh and put on my 66 K.

The following info is take from the data plate on my K.

Warranty#: 6F09K

Body: 63B

Color: V

Trim: F4

Date: 02C

D.S.O.: 32

What color should the original Rally Pac be painted? Should it be smooth or wrinkled? And lastly, where can I get the best paint for the job and a paint code if anyone knows it.

Thanks for any help.

Gary

• Thanks Charles. I have no problem finding the crinkle paint in black but have not found the crinkle parchment. Do you or anyone else know where I can get the crinkle parchment? I've read that you can get the crinkle effect by heating the item to be painted in an oven then shooting it with regular paint. Has anyone done this? Also, if anyone has a picture showing the inside paint of the pods I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by - garymcgowan on 08/24/2008 10:18:48

• All I have ever seen was black crinkle paint. You may have to paint it black crinkle then parchment.

How is the Fairlane coming? Did I miss the photos somewhere ?

Larry

• Hey Larry, good to hear from you. I have been busy with other matters and the Fairlane has been put on the back burner for awhile. As soon as I get back to Fl I plan on moving forward with it. I think I have all parts necessary to put it back together except for a single exhaust system. Is anyone making a reproduction of it?

I thought of doing the black crinkle first but I would like to keep it original as possible. Pictures I have seen of parchment colored Rally Pacs were not done with the crinkle. I would love to see a picture of an original parchment rally pac with the crinkle.

First I will try the process of heating the part in an oven then painting. I have been told this works very well but I'm not so sure about doing it. If there is no crinkle parchment paint available I will probably go with what you suggested. Keep in touch.

• Check my collection of pictures as found the following

Here is a correctly finished/original parchment example

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/6R07A179345intfrnt.jpg]

Here is an incorrectly finished parchment example

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/6F09K14int.jpg]

Might want to search online but the company that makes some of the wrinkle paint use to make it in a white (easier to color) but most auto shops don't carry it.

The oven works best for me (just did a set of Cobra valve covers) putting on the two coats and while the second one is still wet (different than when baking regular paints) get it in the electric oven.

250 for about 15 mins seemed to produce the best consistent finish if the paint coat is fairly consistent, over the complete surface. Not the big heavy wrinkles but the small light ones like what was done originally

Remember that the lower clamp bracket and the wire cover were not wrinkle

Hope this helps

Edited by - J_Speegle on 08/24/2008 15:43:30

• Thanks for the help Jeff. Sounds like the oven procedure is going to be the best way for me to do this. If I do the 250 for 15 min, do you think this will give me the finish I need for the rally pac? Also, I will be using PPG paint in a rattle can for this. I can shoot it with a gun but for something this small I think the rattle can will work. What do you think?

Thanks to all of you for the tips.

On Edit:

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Now I fully understand what Charles was saying about painting the inside of the pods black. I assume Ford used the flat black for this but not sure. Do you know?

Edited by - garymcgowan on 08/24/2008 16:19:57

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Yes, flat black with just a bit of sheen is what you're looking for.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Charles, what do you think of doing them in flat black and then polish a little?

Thanks,

Gary

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Should be fine, especially if you use lacquer.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks Charles. Yes, I will be using lacquer. When I finish I will post a pic for you to check it out for me.

Gary

• Well, I have all the old paint stripped off and will hope to be painting it this weekend if the paint from NPD gets here.

Can someone tell me if the rings on the lens are supposed to be chromed or should they be painted the same color as the Rally Pac body? In this case Parchment. NPD sells new lens and rings but the rings are chromed. I'm not sure they were originally chromed.

Thanks, Gary

Edited by - garymcgowan on 08/29/2008 14:32:06

• My 2 bits worth!

I had a terrible problem painting over several off-the-shelf wrinkle paints with Scott Drake L-5779 Parchment lacq. The wrinkle undercoat always blistered off. Finally, I took parts to the local powder coat shop. They were able to apply a wrinkle powder coat that took the L-5779 without any problem. Apply multiple very light coats of L-5779 -too heavy and you loose the wrinkle effect.

• Check out this supplier's site that has powder coating http://www.cardinalpaint.com/ for what is available. There are others. The shop I use has a minimum and a lot charge (sometimes the same) of $150. I wheel and deal with the owner but special finishes, like the textured ones, are expensive and the costs are always passed on.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!