new engine smoke

• Hi everybody,

I admit that in no way am I a mechanic,so I have a question about my car? the k engine has been totally rebuilt bored 30 over with all new

internals,and it only has approx 1 mile of driving on it since rebuild,when I crank the car up after about ten minutes it has white smoke coming out of the exaust pipes,the car is not overheating,and the oil looks good,could anyone tell me of the possible issues I could have?

Thanks

• Official Post

White smoke is generally steam which indicates water in your engine somewhere. However it is more likely to be condensation in the exhaust system if it goes away quickly.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• A leaky head gasket or intake can put water or coolant into the cylinders - as Fred asked - Does it go away after a short drive? If it does it is just exhaust condensation.

If NO - then does the exhaust vapor smell sweet or like antifreeze?

If it does I'd first run a compression test on each cylinder - that may help locate the source - then pull the intake and heads.

Another possibility is if the car is an automatic you could have a bad modulator valve. Tranny fluid will smoke white out of the exhaust - fluid is pulled up into the intake by the engine thru the vac line when the valve leaks.

Water vapor smoke disappears really quick - tranny fluid some hangs around a while.

I hope this helps.

• If I read your post correctly this is a brand new motor and you have yet to put enough mileage on it to break it in. (Is that one, as in 1, mile?) Depending on the way the engine was machined and the piston and ring combination you will probably be producing a bit of oil smoke until the rings seat.

Water is a byproduct of combustion in normal, healthy engines and it shows up as vapor. If you are an around town driver and the car doesn't get a chance to reach operating temperature (or it sits in your garage running after a fresh rebuild) you will have additional condensation collecting in the exhaust. If you only have a mile on a new rebuild don't pull the motor apart chasing ghosts. Drive it and break it in, being careful to monitor the fluid levels.

If you notice water consumption or overheating during the break in period you will have some additional diagnosis to do. I am a proponent of leak down tests rather than compression tests to determine if head gaskets are having problems. If the engine was professionally rebuilt seek the advice of the person that did the work, if they're going to have to guarantee it they will have a vested interest.

Edited by - round2K on 07/03/2008 17:42:06

• Hey guys,

thanks for the info already,I cranked the car today and let it run for 20-30 minutes,I noticed that the white smoke does smell like antifreeze,but I looked at me temp guage and it was normal,I then turned the car off and restarted it I then looked at the temp guage

and it was all the way over to H, i have changed the fluids and all

and they look good but I know now that it is a overheating problem,can anyone tell me what could be the possible causes of this problem?

Thanks

• It's normal that the temperature goes up when you turn

the engine off after letting it idle for 20-30 minutes.

The question is, did it go down after a while when you

restarted the engine.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!