Repo 66 Deluxe Steering wheels

• Hi Everyone,

Is there a repo version of the 66 Deluxe wheel available that would be MCA standards? (Very hard to tell from pictures on the net).

Thanks

Rohan

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 08/16/2007 10:27:35

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Hi Everyone,

Is there a repo version of the 66 Deluxe wheel available that would be MCA standards? (Very hard to tell from pictures on the net).

Thanks

Rohan

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

if you're asking if the repro will pass foe an original, no it won't. But they are made well, even so, I covered mine up with a wheelskin leather cover. More because I need the extra grip the cover provided ( arthritus ) than any other reason.

There are restorers out there that can restore an original wheel. Bill Herndon comes to mind ( Bill Herndon 301-977-0309 Maryland )

A properly restored wheel looks superior to the reproductions IMHO.

Z. Ray

'66 GT-350

• National Parts Depot has them listed for $279.95 each and as a kit for $359.95. I don't know the quality of that particular version, but I got a reconditioned one several years back, I need a core charge, and except for two of the rivets that look like crap, everything else was great.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

National Parts Depot has them listed for $279.95 each and as a kit for $359.95. I don't know the quality of that particular version, but I got a reconditioned one several years back, I need a core charge, and except for two of the rivets that look like crap, everything else was great.

Jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Actually what you see listed are two different wheels from two suppliers. The wheel only is VERY nice and should not upset too many judges. It's draw back it that some of them have issues with the chrome trim ring on the perimeter of the wheel becoming loose with changes in temperature & humidity. This was more evident is eearly production pieces and is much less a problem now. The other is solid and comes with nearly all the trimmings (less cap) at a great price but the wheel is obviously not an exact duplicate of the original. It's main drawback is that the spokes are more like brushed chrome (very shiny) instead of a brushed satin look. There are actually two more manufacturers out there making the woodgrain wheel but they are really bad pieces.

Scott

Actually what you see listed are two different wheels from two suppliers. The wheel only is VERY nice and should not upset too many judges. It's draw back it that some of them have issues with the chrome trim ring on the perimeter of the wheel becoming loose with changes in temperature & humidity. This was more evident is eearly production pieces and is much less a problem now....<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Scott, isn't the "wheel only" the Dynacorn wheel? I have one of the later production units and it is very nice. Certainly some sublte differences when compared closely to an original but still quite nice. I was under the impression the spokes are not chrome but stainless on it, is that correct?

Dave
    6S1757

• Scott, good to see you join us here. Thanks for the compliments on my kar at Springfield!

As for the steering wheel I have yet to see a repro that even comes close to an original. Neither the woodgrain (most look like GREEN wood and the grain is over emphasized), the brushed spokes are also too "grainy". I believe most I've seen are KLH wheels. Would you care to share which manufacturers you carry? Any way you can post a couple high resolution pics somewhere of the wheel that would pass most judges scrutiny and link to them here? My original wheel is very nice yet but I'm having an issue with the repaired cracks becoming cracks again, mostly due to my body shop pushing and pulling the car around the shop by the steering wheel which created even more cracks than the normal three. Grrrrrrrrrrr (insert cuss words here).... Anyway, I'm debating on going the restoration route on the wheel again or buying a repro. Don't want to have to put either one of us through the hassle of shipping back something I'm not happy with.

Thanks

Merlyn

The original spokes were chrome.

Right, I was referring to the Dynacorn wheel which I was told has stainless spokes. Would like to confirm that.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!