Gas Tank Logo

• Several years ago there was a very good article in Mustang Monthly pertaining to gas tanks on Mustangs. Bob Perkins showed the readers "the real thing", and one of the little details was the fact that the metal was stamped with a logo of either "U. S. Steel" or "American Stamp Steel" and also possibly a date. The metal was then formed into a tank and this stamped logo showed in random places ( I think) on the top and bottom of the tank. Does anyone know what issue and what year that article was published? OR better yet do any of you have a Ford tank with this stamping still present and good enough to be captured in a photo. I would love to have some more info on this obscure aspect of Mustang production. Thank you for any help!

• Hi Murf,

Many years ago, in Dallas, TX, there

was a guy named Greg Cly that had a

US Steel stamp made and used it on his

Mustang gas tanks. I sold a 70-Boss 302

to him in 1989. Haven't heard anything

about him for years though. His friend

and previos partner Tom Daniels may

know about this stamp as well.

I'll see if I can get in contact with any of

them within the next few days.

/Bo

• Thanks, Bo. I would love to get enough of us involved in replicating this stamp, stencil or silkscreen, whatever would be required to at least keep pace with the detail of restoration that the guys with brand "C" or "M" take for granted. I think that those little details are what makes a car great as opposed to good. Thanks for the offer and I am anxious to hear what you find out about the logo stamp.

• Hi Murf,

I have not been able to locate any of these guys yet

but will continue to try. Hopefully, Tom Daniels

will have a car at the Yellow Rose car show in Fort

Worth in August and I may see him there.

/Bo

• Thanks, Bo! There are several people interested in this "logo" and determining if it was used on the early Mustang/Shelby tanks. Over the last many years the subject of the U. S. Steel logo on early tanks has come up over and over in discussions among hardcore restoration individuals (dare i say nut cases?). Now that we have a source readilly available and at a moderate cost (25.00 $) many of us would like to add that little "extra" touch to our cars IF if can be documented. My opinion is that the same logo that is being sold for the Chevy crowd is correct for the Ford tanks of the same era (circa 64 - ? ). It is my hope that you can hook up with someone who has an original and we can make a positive determination that the proper logo stamp for our early cars is the same as the one available. I am 90% convinced that it is correct but until we have photographic proof I will wait. Thanks for your help - together all of you on this board can unearth almost impossible to obtain information.

• Thank you, Charles - I hope that it turns out to be the same one that is currently available in stencil form. I have looked and looked in my pretty sizeable collection of old MM magazines and simply cannot find the article that shows that logo. I am sure the image was taken of a tank that Bob Perkins had and i am positive that it was published in MM. Stuff such as that makes me question my own memory, sometimes my sanity. Can hardly stand the wait for an image of the tank logo on an early car!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...I have looked and looked in my pretty sizeable collection of old MM magazines and simply cannot find the article that shows that logo. I am sure the image was taken of a tank that Bob Perkins had and i am positive that it was published in MM...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I have a copy of an article from the March 1990 issue of <i>Fabulous Mustangs</i> on undercarriage detailing featuring Bob Perkins' low mileage Boss 302 that has a photo of the tank stamp. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Dave
    6S1757

• It must be the article I had in mind (or what is left of my mind). Can you scan and post or scan and email the page? Trying to see if the stencil available for the General Motors tank is the same as the logo used on metal used in Ford mustang tanks. Sure appreciate your response.

• Also found an article from the Sept. 91 issue of <i>MM</i> about one of the original 66 GT350 converts restored by Drew Alcazar, 6S2377, that has a pic of the tank stamp. I'll scan both at work tomorrow and post them here. The resolution in the photos is pretty bad but may give a general idea of the stamp until someone can post a more detailed pic.

Dave
    6S1757

• Dave: Thank you. Have you or others looked at the stencil available from Inline Tube? It looks so much like the ones you have posted. Please check out their website and give your thoughts. I looked last night in the Sept. 91 issue of MM and could not find that photo. Could you please check for sure the issue of MM that contains the article on the Shelby convt. restored by Drew? I am trying to get a really good view of the logo. The image of the Boss tank also looks the same as the one that was used on GM cars. Looks like we could use this stencil on Mustang and Ford tanks and be correct? Does anyone see a difference?

Any more photos of an original?

• John, you are right, the 66 GT350 convert. article is from the Sept. 91 issue of <i><b>M&F</b></i>. My bad, sorry about that.

I agree the Inline Tube GM stencil looks a lot like the Boss pic except the USS logo is larger like the GT350 tank pic. I would guess there were several different versions of the stamp.

Dave
    6S1757

• Dave. do you feel that the marking on the tank in the early Shelby ( the one Drew did) is the genuine article? As you know, my interest is in the 65 - 66 years, and want to use the InLine tube stencil badly, but only if it is correct and that there is no doubt that it is correct. I had hope that it was but have never actually examined that logo. Charles turner has a tank in storage that has the logo as well, and I am waiting for him to post an image. I feel that in 91 when Drew Alkazar was in the restoration business that there was no stencil to replicate the logo and that the tank pictured is in fact the "real deal". Obviously all gas tanks would not have the logo, but enough of them did that perhaps others will join this discussion and maybe check out an old tank and provide us with more pictures. Next we have to work on the date code with I am certain is somewhere in the logo, we just need to figure out how to read it. The guy at Inline told me that when you purchase the stencil they include the appropriate date code with the stencil in the form of seperate little additional stencils. I have a hunch that the sale of the "USS' logo stencil is going to pick up soon. Thanks

• John, here's the text describing that picture: "A new gas tank was found that has the US Steel stamping, which was on the sheet of steel when the fuel tanks were stamped out." Your guess is as good as mine if they mean NOS or not. Possibly Ford was still supplying service replacement 65-66 Mustang gas tanks back in 1991?

It's hard to tell for sure but the date code on the Boss 302 tank appears to be "11 27 69" which makes sense. The code on the GT350 tank looks like "10 (1or2)5 65" so maybe it is a NOS OE tank assuming nothing was altered.

Dave
    6S1757

• Can anyone provide an image of the USS logo on a Mustang gas tank? I am trying to understand what the row of numbers under the date mean and need more examples to examine. Please help if you can.

• Still trying to understand the meaning of the characters stamped on the line under the date stamp. More images can be found on the VMF pertaining to this. If anyone has any contacts with someone who worked for USS during the 60s, perhaps you could ask then about this stamping, or if you have any ideas about understanding the markings on these tanks please share them. Thanks

• Murf,

First, I haven't forgotten about the axle tag. Thanks for your patience with that project.

Next, has anyone seen the USS stamp applied to mufflers? I don't want to open a can of worms with that, but I saw a nice quality restoration (1967 or 1968 Shelby if I recall correctly) with the USS stamp on the muffler.

Any input there?

John Thomas

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Next, has anyone seen the USS stamp applied to mufflers? I don't want to open a can of worms with that, but I saw a nice quality restoration (1967 or 1968 Shelby if I recall correctly) with the USS stamp on the muffler.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Might just be a restorer that got carried away with the stamp/stencil. Recall a couple of cars where an owner/builder had an AUTOLITE stamp made up and they stamped every part on the car Most recent example I saw of this was a 67 fastback that was being sold as a MCA Concours car

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!