65 Conv Coil Springs

• What are you guys replacing your coil springs with? I'm only seeing "performance" springs that are stiffer and lower car 1 inch or stock 289 springs. Thank you for your suggestions.

• I don't know if there is a good stock spring out there. I bought a set for my '65 vert and they were way too tall. I compressed them until I was afraid of them. After I got them in the car and released the tension, they were so tight that they arched to the outside of the car. I am a heavy guy and I couldn't move the front of the car an inch. I had to stand on the car to get my shocks to bolt to the tower caps. After finishing, I stood back to look at the car and it looked like it was launching. I took them out.

I would recommend the 620# springs that lower the car 1". I have had good luck with them. Since the car I was working on was a Hipo, I put the original springs back in the car.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I don't know if there is a good stock spring out there. I bought a set for my '65 vert and they were way too tall. I compressed them until I was afraid of them. After I got them in the car and released the tension, they were so tight that they arched to the outside of the car. I am a heavy guy and I couldn't move the front of the car an inch. I had to stand on the car to get my shocks to bolt to the tower caps. After finishing, I stood back to look at the car and it looked like it was launching. I took them out.

I would recommend the 620# springs that lower the car 1". I have had good luck with them. Since the car I was working on was a Hipo, I put the original springs back in the car.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I've had several spring nightmares over the years myself with my other cars. I never had much success with any "replacement" springs...The only ones that ever worked properly for me were original coil and leaf springs that I ordered from Ford when they were still available.

• What about Eaton springs? I've never used them but thought their replacement springs were made to exact specs. They do have a GT handling package specific spring AFAIK.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

What about Eaton springs? I've never used them but thought their replacement springs were made to exact specs.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's generally what most aftermarket spring suppliers will claim...But you don't know for sure how a spring will work until you install a set on your car. If you are not happy with the ride height or the way the car handles bumps, you probably won't have much recourse other than to keep trying other springs until you find a set that you like.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!