body color on firewall?

• OK, I stripped off the undercoating goo from my firewall and found body color paint underneath. Is this just overspray from the repaint, or did Ford potentially do this??? I also found some on the frame rail top under the firewall area.

I also have a hunk of welding or soder junk melted onto the middle upper portion of the firewall. It looks terrible, but won't chip or scrape off? Any ideas what this is there for and should I leave it alone?

Thanks,

Troy

• Here are some pics of the firewall with body color and wierd solder stuff. My car's paint code is Y7, which was thought by the PO to be Ivy Green Metallic. Other sources say Y7 is Dark Moss Green metallic. I'm not sure what is definitive, but the current overspray samples and other original paint area like under the cowl brace area when I removed the braces look pretty close to the Ivy Green the car is currently painted. Not sure what the difference is between the Moss and Ivy....

[Blocked Image: http://troy.krugercentral.com/firewall/0002.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://troy.krugercentral.com/firewall/0003.jpg]

The green paint on the firewall is very "slippery??" I don't know how well paint will stick. I've wet sanded it with 60 grit. Should I strip to bare metal?

The lower cowl area as you can also see looks pretty bad, but untouched. I think I will leave it, though I'm tempted just to paint it all black with the rest of the underhood.

Any idea about the solder mess? Should I grind it down as best I can?

I sanded all the runs in the bay to bare metal and feathered the edges. Feels smooth with my hands. Was thinking this was good enough as I also scotch brited the entire compartment with degreaser, power washed, orbital sanded with 60 grit and then hand wet sanded it as well. It's really clean right now. Should I proceed with spot priming the bare metal with etch primer, sand again and then paint?

Edited by - 66gtk on 04/03/2007 18:36:09

• The '7' of Y7 designates the color as a '67 color, which is common for late '66 cars.

Don't know about the solder, maybe a previous owner repair. If you're laying down a primer first, the rough grit is ok, but it's going to take a lot to fill in the scratches. You probably would have done ok wet-sanding with 220.

• My opinion on seeing Troy's car up close was that the "solder" is probably old hard seam sealer. I'm re-doing the seam sealer on my cowl area, and have inadvertantly created identical looking globs.

One question we both had was regarding the fender apron to firewall brace/bracket. Should it be body color or black, or did it vary?

Nice little vert he has there - even better if the garage wasn't so cold! We need to get some active Mustang people going here on the tundra. There are a lot of cars around but everyone seems to retreat to their workshops in the winter and their cabins in the summer.

Lyle

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Did they do all the early Dearborn cars this way?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes, to varying degrees.

• I agree with Lyle that the blobs on the firewall are probably seam sealer from the factory. Both of my cars have the blobs (they look to have dripped through the bolt/alignment holes.)I'd leave them or try to replicate them. I think the sloppy workmanship on these cars is part of their charm.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!