• With all the gushing and bluster about the car's being such a great restoration, I wonder why the engine is painted corporate blue...

• Official Post

Gene, Beyond the engine color there are quite a few other discrepancies. It has 66 engine mounts and a srange bellhousing to adapt the 6 bolt block to the narrow bolt pattern transmission. The alternator has a small pulley and the fan and spscer are standard 289 fare. It has an earlier 4100 carburetor and I do not see a choke cable. It has a rubber hose from the incorrect 66 style non button top fuel pump to the carburetor. It has worm gear rather than tower type hose clamps and the generic coil is mounted on the wrong side of the engine feeding a grey distributor cap. It is missing the chrome trim around the brake and clutch pedals. I do not want to look further for details as this Kar should be more perfect than it is based on the sellers description. It would sure be nice if the seller would include a picture of the block VIN.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I looked at the rear axle bumper plate on the body and saw a rubber attached, but also it looks like the round cornered plate from what little there is visible

And they have cleverly blanked out the casting date on the engine block.

Edited by - cobraboy on 07/24/2010 03:39:39

Edited by - cobraboy on 07/24/2010 03:41:14

• Official Post

Sharp eye on the snubber bumper bolted to the body, Mark. The body snubber plate is correct though and I have seen this error of the body bumper made by Ford on other Kars as well. The snubber bumper rubber that is on the actual third member appears to be loose as the nut appears incorrect and not tightened down more than a few threads. In regards to the engine casting number, there is nowhere in the ad that states that the engine is original to the Kar. The ad does state "Factory Hi-Po appearance (and performance) in every way including chrome open element air cleaner and valve covers." To me that reads "CLONE" engine however if the factory stamped VIN shows up, I will retract that statement. The ad makes no mention of original heads or internals and only mentions the Crane camshaft. It does mention Hi-Po specific items and unfortunately includes the fan in that statement which, as I previously stated, is incorrect. There is a nice close up picture of the passenger door from the lower interior side and the gasket is hanging out of the door lamp. That seems to detract from the detail and quality that the ad mentions.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred

Thanks for clearing up the bumper plate, I could not quite decide which it was. I did spot the loose nut though.

It is a superb looking car and it is all too easy to be picky.

Every time a car comes up for sale I read the comments and then go see what I have - then sometimes a hunt starts for some part that is not present. As time goes by I am finding that my car ticks more boxes, which is good.

Thanks

• Official Post

This Kar was bid to $47,995 and it did meet the reserve. The seller ended the auction early and cancelled all bids.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!