Ignition problems

• Last year at a local Ford car show I was getting ready to head out and when I turned the key, nothing! I hooked up my Remote starter switch, gave it a tap and the starter engaged. I then got back in the car and turned the key and the car started. I never had any more problems until yesterday when I went to turn the car off and , nothing! I left key in the off position popped the hood and pulled the coil wire out. I've turned the car on and off several times with no problems since yesterday but I know there is a problem. I replaced the ignition switch about ten years ago , Is it the switch ? could it be the tumbler ? a short under the dash ? What to you think ?

Mark

• Official Post

Mark, Is this a manual or automatic trans car?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Automatic, Are you thinking that could be the neutral safety switch ? And can you explain to me why? I am one of those kind of guys that needs to know how things work .

• Mark,

I had the same problem last year with my car (4sp) not turning off and having to pull the coil wire. It turned out to be the solenoid.

Dave

Edited by - Mad4HiPos on 06/10/2009 14:41:50

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Automatic, Are you thinking that could be the neutral safety switch ? And can you explain to me why? I am one of those kind of guys that needs to know how things work .

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

On a car with an automatic transmission, the starting circuit is routed thru a switch at the shifter that provides a complete starting circuit only when the car is in neutral or park. It keeps the car from moving unexpectedly when you start it up. That switch is the source of many starting problems and sometimes can be traced to the bushings in the shifter wearing out. Does your shifter move from side to side? Turning off the engine problems would be the ignition switch (I had that problem on a 65). A solenoid problem usually keeps the starter engaged but you can also have a situation where an additional contact inside the solenoid that provides a full 12V to the coil on start, can open or jam (I had that problem on a 66). Multiple problems are a bitch to figure out.

Jim

• FYI

Found this at another Mustang forum, The Next time I have the Problem I'll try it.

"If you pulled the small wires off your solenoid and it killed the engine, your solenoid is either defective or staying engaged. The wire from the ignition (the one closest the battery) is only hot when the ignition is in the start position and provides power to the internal coil which pulls the contacts for the starter motor in. If the engine died when you pulled this wire, the ignition switch is providing power when it shouldn't, and you would want to change the switch. The other small wire provides a full 12V to the coil during the start cycle and gets it's power from the engaged contacts. If the engine died when you pulled this wire, the contacts are staying engaged or there is a short inside the solenoid assembly. You would want to change the solenoid in this case. One other point. I've found when you have a noisy solenoid, it's usually because you have a larger than normal current flow, or a bad solenoid. I would have your starter checked to make sure it isn't ready to die, and if it's good, buy another solenoid just for GP."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!