Console Light -

• A friend of mine said he saw a repro switch/light socket for 65-66 console glove box for sale on another forum. He can't remember which one, either the Concours or Vintage-Mustang forums, but he remembers that they were laser cut. Does anyone here and on either of those forums have a link?

Jim

• I asked for a link to the party that makes the switch/light socket. If I wanted to be a member on the Concours forum, I would have joined (if I remember correctly, I would have been member number somewhere around 45 to 49). As I am a member of two other Mustang forums, I felt I would have been overextended and that was my prime reason to not join.

So I will ask again - does anyone have a link to the party that makes the console switch/light socket?

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I asked for a link to the party that makes the switch/light socket. If I wanted to be a member on the Concours forum, I would have joined (if I remember correctly, I would have been member number somewhere around 45 to 49). As I am a member of two other Mustang forums, I felt I would have been overextended and that was my prime reason to not join.

So I will ask again - does anyone have a link to the party that makes the console switch/light socket?

Jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Wow! I am a member of well over a dozen auto related sites and don't feel the slightest bit over extended.

• Did ALL full length consoles (no AIR) have these lights? I don't recall having one on mine, but it's in storage right now so I can't check for sure.

• Troy,

It looks like all factory 64 and some early 65 did not have this type of light, they used one that fit into the slot on the rear glove box cover and was activated by the courtesy light circuit. Later (do not know the exact date) 65 and all 66 consoles had the top mounted activated by the glove box door being opened.

Dave,

Thanks. A straight answer is always appreciated.

6hypo5conv,

I'm on several other forums (scientific, a writers group, political among others) plus I'm working on two of my own Mustangs, assisting on five others including two Shelbys. I also do a couple of astronomy lectures a year, am in a veteran's group, do a bit of home maintenance for neighbors and make daily attempts to be a gourmet cook.

Jim

• So the thing the guy makes is just a bracket? what about the rest of the setup? is it available in repro? my July 1965 Dearborn car most-likely should have the later light that this new bracket is made for then? where does the power come from for the light? I've obviously not seen 1 before.

• Your console will have a 1 1/4 inch "D" hole in the front top of the glove box if it is the type to use the switch/lamp socket. It is not a bracket. Look at the Concours link above. It is held in by four 1/4 inch tabs from the switch and a 0.047in dia staple. It should be made from a hard copper material as the switch action from the console glove box door opening flexes it and it should return to a "normal" position. The 45 plus year old tabs break sometimes when the switch is removed to paint the console. Power is the same as the regular glove box light, always on. Ground is thru a wire that goes to the screw holding the door RH spring and routed thru a slot near the spring. It is not reproduced by anybody, although NPD (I think) was looking into making some but their cost estimates were seen to be too high. If your console does not have the "D" hole, it is an early 65 and 64 type.

Jim

• Yup, that am it. It looks like the two rear tabs have been lifted. If you wouldn't mind, could you take a picture thru the rear of the glove box showing the bent arm that acts as the switch contact?

Jim

• Jim,

Console is already taken apart and I don't have a photo of the inside. On the Concours Forum thats a picture of my origianl part that I had loaned to the mustang guy in Germany

Dave

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!