Traction Bars

• Were there any Ford dealer option traction bars that were available in 1965?

My 64.5 K Convertible has a Traction Bar installed on it. My car has a factory 4.11 rear end. The traction bar has M-1 markings on both ends.

It looks like it is an aftermarket product/instalation, but I would like to install a period correct, Ford product. Are there any that will not distract from my car, if i took it to a show?

Bob

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Were there any Ford dealer option traction bars that were available in 1965?

My 64.5 K Convertible has a Traction Bar installed on it. My car has a factory 4.11 rear end. The traction bar has M-1 markings on both ends.

It looks like it is an aftermarket product/instalation, but I would like to install a period correct, Ford product. Are there any that will not distract from my car, if i took it to a show?

Bob

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

you have traction master bars. They might be vintage or new. Either way the same company made them:

http://www.tractionmaster.com/

I never heard of them coming from the Ford factory. They did come on most 1966 Shelby GT-350's.

What kind of show are we talking about ? MCA concours ?

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 03/25/2010 21:32:32

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Bob,

Traction Master changed front and rear bracket designs over the years so that should tell you if they are the 66 GT350 "period correct" style or a later style.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Early style bar is on the left with three point bracket. M1 is embossed on the end of the rods in the bushing area but I didn't get a photo of that particular detail at the time I had them off the car. The frame rail mount brackets are slightly different from early to late and the owner would be at the mercy of the installer's welding ability when they were attached to the frame rails.

The early bars were a common modification and would be period correct. They were available in the aftermarket and from Shelby Amercian. If you are showing the car in MCA events they would be acceptable in certain classes, though not in concours.

[Blocked Image: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7448/tractionmastercompariso.jpg]

Early style showing a typical sloppy installation and big stack of washers:

[Blocked Image: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/645/1000365f.jpg]

Edited by - round2K on 03/27/2010 09:08:16

Edited by - round2K on 03/27/2010 11:20:02

• Mine also have M-1 embossed on the end of the rods in the bushing area. I have a poor quality close up photo, I will take better ones and will try to attach them when I get home.

Thanks for all your information/help, I plan to keep them on the car.

Will the new rubber bushings fit the old bars & brackets? If nobody knows for sure I will call the above provided manufacturer.

Again thanks

Bob

• In my case the bushings were easily popped out of the new ones and used in the early bars. (The bars went away when I did the concours restoration work:) If all you need is the bushings you should be able to buy them from Traction Master as a service part.

Mine also have M-1 embossed on the end of the rods in the bushing area. ................."

both vintage & current traction master bars have the M-! cast in the rod ends. As pointed out above , the brackets are the more certain method to date your traction bars

Z. Ray

• If I don't recall wrong, the M1 on originals are

pointing forward and backward respectively while the

later versions are pointing up and down. As Z.Ray says,

the bracket with 3 ears are a give away on an original as is the

casting on the brackets, 1068 and 1070. 1070 was listed as used on Falcons but I have seen many 66 Shelbys having them as well.

/Bo

• There is a difference in the diameter of the early and late tubing, but I didn't measure it and don't have access to the bars right now to get additional imagery.

If I don't recall wrong, the M1 on originals are

pointing forward and backward respectively while the

later versions are pointing up and down. As Z.Ray says,

the bracket with 3 ears are a give away on an original as is the

casting on the brackets, 1068 and 1070. 1070 was listed as used on Falcons but I have seen many 66 Shelbys having them as well.

/Bo

Bo,

I've noticed the same thing regarding the M-1 location. Also seen 66 GT350's with both 1070 and 1068 casting original rear brackets. Those with a 1070 are cast "10-70" while the 1068's have the side in the casting and use the format "1068 RH (or LH)". The 1068's are a slightly thicker bracket so presumably a little stronger.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!