measure the length from end to end

as well.

Thanks in advance.

/Bo

• No answers on this one. Reason I ask is that I have

a fork on my car (65) that has the spring attachment

hole in the middle of the end and some people told me that

it's a Ford replacement part as the originals should have

a spring attachment hole at the side of the end.

I was also told that the length of the fork was different

between a K-code 65 (10.4" clutch) and C-, A-codes with

a 10" clutch. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

/Bo

• I can't see any reason why the fork would have to be different for a larger diameter clutch disk. The important dimensions are the pivot point on the bellhousing, and the throwout bearing on the input shaft of the transmission. I'd think that would be the same for any 289 with a stock bellhousing.

• Thanks a million Matt,

This is what I suspected. I have a

Ford replacement in my car and will have to

change it. Again thanks.

/Bo

• Does anyone know when the fork style changed? The one I got with my late March 66 car is like the replacement style Bo described and has the spring attachment hole in the middle of a symetrical end. I was pretty sure it's original to the car but am now second guessing that.

Any later 66 owners with a know original fork out there that can shed some light on this? The MPC only shows one part number for 65-66.

Thanks, Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Is it possible that the two versions are both correct, and used at different production facilities? Afterall, like Marv points out it's the 9-1/4 inch dimension that matters most, not the location of the spring attachment hole.

• Honestly I've never seen one of the clutch arms with the offset hole in question.

I've only seen the "replacement style" with the hole in the center - I've also never needed to replace this part - only the bell housing or the pivot.

Maybe a member here with access to Ford documentation can look up this part and determine when and if it changed - there should be some revision history out there for the clutch arm.

I've had at least a dozen 6 bolt bell housing assemblies over the years and ALL had the center spring hole style end. I have one restored now with an original pivot in place with a '65 date code that will go back on my '65 K - and it has the center hole style arm - everything looks original, so I don't beleive the arm has been replaced.

FYI - there is a 5 bolt bell housing, clutch, & flywheel on eBay right now - and it has the offset stykle arm discussed in this thread.

Could this be a running change or part of the 5 bolt to 6 bolt design changes???? Could this have happened in the late '64 to early '65 time frame???

• Hi Bo

You may want to have a look at ebay item 320117707112

Not sure if it is the right length but the spring attachment is on the side.

Hope this helps.

William

• Thanks William,

Just put a completely rebuilt (all new M gears)

BW T10-M1 transmission with the correct assembly date code

into my 65 Shelby and replaced the clutch fork at the same

time. Traded one with Paul who was kind to help me get

the new trans in as well. We worked a whole day but finally

got the thing mounted. Not a lot of room under the car.

My old T10-M1 had an assembly date code of G85 2 July 8th,1965

which was too late for my car. The new one is dated D295 2,

April 29, 1965 which is 5 days prior to my engine assembly date.

This is perfect.

Again, thanks for the tip.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!