WTB 14x5 stock wheels

• Looking for a set or even just one stock 14x5 rim but looking for a date code of 4J or 4K. Doesn't have to be painted perfect but at least solid. Looking for the 5 lug version

Thanks,

Chris

• I have not heard of this as long as the disc brakes are stock/originals......I know that there is absolutely no difference with the Styled Steel wheels anyway......

Chris, I will be checking my wheels later today-just haven't had a chance until now....I have not forgotten about you!-Rick

• I have the 14X5 stock wheels on my K with disc brakes and I have tried the Style steel wheels from my A code convertible with drum brakes and both work just fine on either car... just as long as they are stock disc brake calipers as 6hypo5conv has indicated. hope this helps

• I was going to use the spinners shown in the picture

[Blocked Image: http://i56.tinypic.com/fa8yg5.jpg]

but I have a black A code 65 convert with a red interior and the red lines and spinners looked so good on that car I decided to trade the Style Steel Wheels that were on the convert and put those on the coupe instead. The original color of this car was Silver Blue but I have to admit that I strayed.... the color on the car is 65 Marina Blue a (gasp)a GM color, I wanted to match a similar color that Ford used on the 65 Birds and this was a close as I could come. Had this been a fastback or convertible I would have stayed with the original Silver Blue (just really don't like that color.)But this was built to be a driver and as we know the value of a coupe even a nice one will never equal a FB or convert so I decided to change it to a color that I did like. I know a lot of folks are probably cringing right now.

• I notice a guy on ebay was selling 5 lug 14x5 inch OEM wheels for a 65 66 Mustang and he said they were for drum brake cars only. I need to know what's what as I need to be looking for a spare wheel/tire and jack. I know there is a allot of miss info on Ebay but this guy was a guy that deals in lots of OEM parts for Mustangs. So are all the painted steel 14inch wheels all the same?

• The wheels for a drum brake car will not fit a disc brake car. The calipers will hit the wheels and lock the wheels up. The inside off set is different. The wheels for a disc brake car will fit a drum brake car. (Been there done that)

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The wheels for a drum brake car will not fit a disc brake car. The calipers will hit the wheels and lock the wheels up. The inside off set is different. The wheels for a disc brake car will fit a drum brake car. (Been there done that)

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's funny, my 65 GT Fastback with standard wheels and wire wheel covers (I have the factory invoice) fit with no problem.

If what you clain is true, then there would be two different standard wheels for 65 and 66, GT and non-GT, but I can't seem to find any part numbers that show that difference.

Jim

• I had a costomer bring a 1965 V8 Mustang to me for a conversion from drum to disc brake. I installed the Stainless Steel Brake Corp. 4 piston brake calipers,rotors and other hardware necessary to complete the job. Upon completion of the install I attempted to put the wheels that came in with the car back on. They would not fit. I checked to make sure that the wheels were Ford period correct units and they were. I had a set of steel wheels that came off of my 1966 K GT car that went right on. The offset was different on the wheels. That's my experience. My 1965 Ford parts book shows two part numbers for 1965 steel wheels C4GY-1007-B and C5ZZ-1007-A. I don't know what the difference is.

• I too have looked at all the available information that I have and I can't find where there was a special wheel for drum brakes only. Even the Hollanders interchange manual only lists one wheel that could be used on a variety of Ford Products. I did find this chart and writeup in the Mustang Recognition guide. I hope it is readable in this format if not send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a pdf file.

[Blocked Image: http://i55.tinypic.com/o6d5yv.jpg]

• Style Steel Wheels or steel wheels that came with 1965/66 V8 Mustangs equipped from Ford with disc brakes will fit V8 Mustangs that came with drum or disc brakes. That's a fact. Try putting a standard steel wheel from a V8 Mustang from Ford Motors with drum brakes all around on a disc brake car. We'll talk then. BTW I have a Mustang Recongition Guide that's dated 1981. The information that I provided came from a January 1965 Ford Parts and Accessories Catalog. You didn't indicate the book that you were looking in for the one part number that you found. I was just curuious as to what book that you're referencing.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I installed the Stainless Steel Brake Corp. 4 piston brake calipers,rotors and other hardware necessary to complete the job. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Factory installed equipment fits, aftermarket equipment doesn't.

Jim

Chris, I will be checking my wheels later today-just haven't had a chance until now....I have not forgotten about you!-Rick

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks Rick...no worries at all. Was at the Mesquite show this weekend...I appreciate it again...

• Hi Richard:

You asked about the difference in the two part numbers for the wheels. The C4GY-1007-B decodes as a 1964 Mercury Comet service replacement part and the C5ZZ-1007-A decodes as a 1965 Mustang wheel used prior to February 1,1965. The Hollander interchange manual that I was referring to is dated 1966 and was used by salvage yards to determine parts interchangeability. This manual lists the C5ZZ-1007-A and indicates that it is a 14x5 5 bolt wheel with a 4 1/2" bolt pattern and should work with V8,Comet,Fairlane,Falcon,Meteor and Econoline vehicles. This book does not make any distinction between drum or disc brakes for V8 vehicles.

From what you have indicated it appears that you were working on an early production car (at least the wheel numbers indicate that) I have owned Mustangs since 1965 and have never personally experienced a wheel compatibility problem when I used a 5 bolt wheel (whether it was used on drum or disc brakes.) I have purchased 5 bolt standard steel wheels both on ebay and from other sources and I guess luck was with me,since I have not had a problem. Having said all that.... you did experience a problem and by looking at the different parts manuals (I too have a 1965-73 master parts catalog from a Ford dealership dated 1975 Final Issue but that only lists a C80Z 1007-G)it makes it difficult to determine just what the problem may have been...a potential cause could have been with the Stainless Steel calipers. If the vehicle was an early unit that too could have played a role in the problem you had on that particular unit. It is also unclear what modifications may have been made to the vehicle prior to it coming to you.(given that it had comet service replacements). I have included a copy the Ford Parts sheet that I have so you can compare it to yours... But this still isn't helping Chris with his question... hopefully someone out there has an answer.

[Blocked Image: http://i54.tinypic.com/2db2qtk.jpg]

• Getting back to Chris's original appeal for steel painted wheels lets narrow the discussion back to painted wheels used with KH calipers,64 to 66.

What I am hearing is disc brake wheels will fit on drum brake cars but

drum brake wheels will not fit on KH disc brake cars. If that is true then GTs would have a disc brake clearing type wheel both front and rear including the spare.

Once Ford figured there was no point in have both types of standard steel wheels the drum brake wheel was probably dropped when the stock pile was used up. Probably early 65?? If this is the case the question is when the change, what PN were involved and how to visibly identify difference for the swap meet lookers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!