Replacing incorrect date codes on your 3rd member

• Are there any interest out there in K- Code land in having the correct date code put on your original housing plate.I have a new process in which I can remove the incorrect date code and replace it with the correct date code. All you will have to do is take the 3rd member apart and send me the part where the date code is cast in. I am going to do a couple of mine and post the pictures on the exchange. If you have any interest in having yours corrected email me at savethestangs@aol.com

• Sorry, but this sounds scarey to me. First we change date codes. How about changing a VIN?

Can we change a date code and engineering number on a non hipo block and sell it as a hipo?

Sorry if this sounds like criticizm. But if the hobby is to survive, we can't change anything.

Scott

• with regards to a cars value, it would certainly make correct date codes meaningless to be able to replace incorrect codes on a given part.

just another instance where the likelihood of misrepresentation is enormous.

Z.

• Agree with the other 2 posters. This is a very bad idea and not something that adds real value to the hobby. It is sometimes hard to spot "fake" cars now and this will make it even harder.

Jack

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>Yep, very bad and dangerous idea!

No action should be undertaken via a restamp approach as it can't help but compromise the credibility of individual cars no matter how well intentioned.

If one wants to bring component date codes in line with a car production date, then seek out original unmolested parts and swap out the chunks that don't fit the accepted production time lines from back in the day. Alternatively, live with what you've got.

Once a restamp Pandora's Box is opened and accepted as credible, everything becomes suspect. Having said that, one cannot be naive in thinking it doesn't already happen at some level and freqency. Sad but probably true. My 2c.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

"............... Alternatively, live with what you've got. ............."

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Is that so difficult ?

Really now, honesty isn't that complicated.

Z.

• Before I do something I post it on the exchange and wait for feedback. I have felt it is unethical to our wonderful passion. I wait for responses and feel inside it's not the right thing to do. It takes away the value associated with numbers correct. Therefore, I will not give it a second thought. It is not the right thing to do. With Technology today, anything is possible but most of the time unethical.Thank you for your input and opinion. That's why I use this forum to throw things out there and see what should or should not be done. Don Quillen

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!