-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred,

Do you know how many months out the fuel pump date can lag behind the vehicle build date? Build date on my Kar is May 20, 1966. Too late for this pump?

Much thanks,

Geoff

• Geoff,

I will let Charles or Jeff chime in on this one. Your Kar is certainly a long ways out build date wise but on the other side, the pump is not dated after your build date. Being as the K pumps were a very limited build it would not be impossible for a pump to have been sitting around somewhere. With all of the 4201-S pumps that I have done prior to your build date most of them were late 65 build dates. There were a few from January 4, 1966 and one each from February and March 1966. All of the ones after your build date were late 66 dates that would be for 67 models. Finding a 4201-S pump for any date code is tough. This, of course, is your call.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• When looking for parts on the engine, don't we look at the date of the block and consider when the engine was likely assembled with it's components rather than the date on the door tag? I believe there has been some prior discussions around this. Charles has also commented that the date on the door tag was a projected date and could be off plus or minus 2 weeks. The door tag date on my car is July, but my engine has a Feb date. It is the original VIN stamped block to the car. I would suspect that the engine was assembled a short period after the block date so I've understood looking for dates on engine related parts around the block, rather than the door tag. I would also like to get Charles take as well.

• 21.04 - made a number of good points IMHO. Yes the projected build date on the door tag could be off by as much as three weeks in some cases in either direction. Also agree that we might want to compare the dates found on engine components to the engine assembly date, since the parts on an engine would not have been dated after that date (providing some lead time) instead of the cars build date.

Looking at my collection (limited as it is) the spread between the casting date and the assembly date on blocks seems to have been typically a week to three-four weeks during the 65-66 period.

• Congrats on the sale of the fuel pump Fred! Although, I was amazed at what it went for, you do a superb job at these. It's obvious that others highly value the work done on them.

-Matt

• Matt, Thank you for your kind words regarding my work on these pumps. I try hard for everyone on these.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!