Price Check 1965 9" rear end

• What is a correct, original cased 1965 Mustang 9" rear end complete and 100% correctly detailed, and rebuilt drum to drum, with a fresh repro tag ready to bolt in and use worth these days?

• don't think we've seen one in this condition to compare against lately.

if completely rebuilt includes all new bearing, my guess is $2000-2500

• I am not talking about one of those clones that have been talked about on here recently, I am talking about a real original correct 9" 1965 assembly all done to concours specs, with new brakes and everything execpt ebrake cables.

• so am I. maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone is paying any where near that for those clones, especially right now. I've noticed a couple complete original rear ends in the $1500 range in the last few months. That would be the starting point and add the price of the rebuild. Remember, we're talking an open rear end. A 66 with traclock would add several hundred to that.

If you think it's worth more, then ask what you think it's worth. If multiple people contact you about buying at your asking price, then you're right and I'm wrong. There's always a chance someone is in the market AND willing to pay your price.

• I can sell you won for 2000.00 ddrum to drum detailed and you purchase the tag. My housings are the same as the old ones. This has been hashed out and you will not find a better replacement. they are not clones dude!!!!

• Fellows, maybe I missed something here, but there was a question asked about an original rear end, restored and complete. A reproduction, clone, tribute, or whatever you want to call a part that is being built today is something that is not original.

I would agree with Hank; there may be some complete rear ends out there, but I don't recall having seen one that was in concours condition for sale with all of the attendant brake parts attached. If we did see one with the appropriate third member and a 3.89 or 3.50 open gear set it would be easy to value at $2,500+.

Edited by - round2K on 01/25/2009 00:37:56

• I guess that depends on the Engineer who figured it out and the cool cat who has the money. I thought I could do you guys a favor by making a difference. It's amazing how pissed off dudes can get when someone gets the drop on thier little dancin rear.

• Not sure what your issues are in referring to being pissed off. We're just trying to respond to the original post:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> I am not talking about one of those clones that have been talked about on here recently, I am talking about a real original correct 9" 1965 assembly all done to concours specs, with new brakes and everything execpt ebrake cables. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

• I dont think anyone has the original diameter primary and secondary tubes on their repro housings, Maybe you can tell us what diameter your primary and secondary tubes are?

• Jim, another post regarding the tube dimensions was made by Don and the link is below:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8992

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• If they're not original, then they're reproductions. Marv had some cams ground by the original supplier using the original specs and he correctly identifies them as reproductions. Same goes for the counterweights.

http://www.hipomustang.com/default2.asp?page=28

The difference is the quality and accuracy of the reproduction. We've all seen items that were close, others that were dead on and some that were just way off. I've not personally inspected one of these new rear housings. But until someone provides some comparison as to how they differ from the original, I'm willing to trust what the gentleman claims. I believe if they weren't as claimed someone would have very quickly pointed out any disparities.

So back to the OP, I haven't put a lot of effort into tracking the price of rearends lately. I've casually noticed a couple originals in the 1500 range since last summer (neither had bumper plates). Add to that the value of paying someone else to restore and I'm guessing that's the ballpark of the value. It could range anywhere from $2000 to $3000.

Remember, something isn't necessarily worth what one person was willing to pay. It's only worth what anyone in the market for said item is willing to pay. We've seen too may times an item on ebay go for a premium because of bidding wars. Then the next week someone with a similar item looking to cash in ends up being disappointed because theirs didn't command the same premium.

With the limited supply of these in the condition 6hypo5conv describes, he could pretty much set any price he wants. But given current economic conditions and possibly the absence of multiple aggressive/impatient buyers, he may have to be willing to sit on it for while.

There's an easy way to find out. Take an item and put on ebay with a reserve much higher than the expected sale price. It would need to be posted for 10 days ending on a Sunday night that's not a holiday weekend or some big event like the superbowl. It would need to be well described with lots of detailed pics. The final bid will give us an idea of what it's worth AT THAT TIME. If there's enough interest it may surprise us all. If not, the poster would be out some fees but would have a good idea of its value.

• Hey Don..just thought I would chime in..seen some close up pics you sent me...your housing is dead nuts on for sure..however it looks to perfect..especially your welds...way nice ...I have seen a few rear ends in my day and none of them looked as clean as yours..so once under the car I would say if it looks like a chicken and sounds like one ...then it is ...just as you say however in this hobby and I am sure you can appreciate it..there is something really special and important about original factory parts to allot if not most all enthusiasts..and if it is not original then it is just not original..I think your rear end would get dinged in a show because of your welds being not factory looking ..however with all that being said I would still use one of your housings as it is the BEST one I have seen...BUT it is still and after market repo part..BUT made in the good ol U.S.of A

• I think RaCCol made the point as perfect as can be said.These parts that some think are worth so much ARE NOT because 1 or 2 guys with deep pockets paid that one time large price.It's only worth what someone is willing to pay and with these crazy prices no one will buy this stuff as is the case.On the same note in the past I've sold these original housings for $250 and in my opinion NO housing is worth $1500-$1600 original or repop.Now I might agree that a complete rear end detailed and painted for $2000 might be OK as you never get paid for the time you spend doing something right then selling it!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!