Carter 4201S Fuel pump

• I just pulled this off a 1967 Mustang T code car with a 289 4 barrel carbed engine. I was told it came off a 1966 shelby Mustang years ago. The numbers on the pump is 4201S and a date code of 6B1 A. The 1 and 6 look a little unclear,word CARTER is on the side of the pump. I would say by what is listed Fourth Edition that it would be a replacement pump but what about the date code. Do all 4201S have the word CARbureTER on them or do some have CARTER on them also???? The engine was running. The pump made no noise. Has a little rust on it but can be cleaned up nicely. Has blue paint on it but I cleaned most of the paint off the pump. It has the BUTTON on top with the spring.I will be listing it on ebay tonight. Make offers . Thanks again! Ron 815-926-7641

Edited by - MR.FORD49 on 04/11/2007 20:13:47

Edited by - MR.FORD49 on 04/11/2007 20:27:10

• Ron,

I looked at the pictures on your Ebay auction #190102406253. This appears to have possibly been an older rebuilt pump as the original would have had the second spring on the arm. Rebuilders are notorious for using anything that will work for what they are building. They are not really concerned with numbers.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Looks like an early replacement pump. The absence of the second spring indicates that this is most likely a rebuilt pump also. Does the arm even have the dimple/retaining "nub" for the second spring?

Your starting price is realistic.

• The arm does not have the nub for a spring. I would rather sell it to someone on this site. I will end the auction for the right offer. I beleive you guys are right that it is a rebuilt or replacement unit. I have some other Carter pumps that have an extra reinforcement for an extra spring that could be installed on this pumps arm.

• Just took a look at the Ebay pics. The 4201 stamping looks really ragged, can you tell if this was restamped as well? Also, this pump has "Made in Canada" cast in the main body. Anyone know when Carter started producing pumps in Canada?

Dave
    6S1757

• Dave you may have found a way to get Carter fuel pumps rebuilt. Someone should check with Fedral Moguel and see if there is a rebuilder in Canada. And maybe this pump was an original built or a rebuilt in Canada for Mustangs built in Canada in 1965/1966. Because I have seen older Mustangs In the USA that came from Canada. Does anyone have any info??? It would be worth a check.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!