K Code with 427

• I was in Barnes & Noble this weekend and just happend to pick up and glance thru a copy of a book titled Rusted Muscle...or something close to that.

As I was glancing thru pics of rusted old classics I was stunned to see a not so rusty, but no less ODD puke yellow '65 Coupe with a T-BOLT style 427 stuffed in the engine bay. It even had the flying eagle 427 fender badges.

As I remember the VIN number was 5F09K134205.

The car had huge rear fender cuts for slicks, a 60's era roll bar, tear drop hood, and seriously modified shock towers to fit the big FE.

Anybody know of this car? I searched the database and it isn't listed.

I was amazed at the details the limited photos showed - car looked legit as a 60's retrofit with lots of period correct stuff.

Really amazing to see.

• Official Post

Ralph, The VIN that you listed is for a fastback and not a coupe. The numerical sequence makes it a 64 1/2 which could not be a fastback anyway. Maybe you misread the 07 number as an 09?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• There is a very nicely done 427 65/66 fastback in Greenville, SC. Owned by Jerry Mason and stored at his hot rod shop. I was told it was done by grafting a '67 front clip onto the car but I don't know if this is true. I do know it looks very factory under the hood and still retains the shock towers.

• OK my bad...being a fastback owner all these years I mistakenly checked and typed 09 instead of 07.

It definetly was a Coupe - I'll recheck the numbers and repost the results.

The photos show significant reinforcements and welding in the shock towers, but the remainder looked stock '65.

I may just have to go back and buy the book for my colletion of Mustang / K Code stuff.

OK no luck on a search of 5F07K or 5R07K.

Edited by - RalphJr on 05/03/2011 08:43:26

• I believe that was the first 427 Mustang and yes it was a coupe.If it's the one I'm thinking of it was originally white then painted a light yellow with red indents.This was a H&M built car sent to Bob Ford to be raced.The car was later wrecked and destroyed I'm sorry to say!

• Now I'm definitely going to have to go back for that book. It looked like a fairly recent book and said the car was still around.

It did mention a ton of stuff about H&M building some of these cars and selling kits to do it too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!