• ZRay, Do you use one specific brand of fuel in yours or do you experiment? I always use a name brand to get the benefit of the particular companies additives...

Does anyone use any type of stabilizer in gasoline in their ocasionally driven cars? I do, I use the popular Sta-Bil brand because its redily available here, I use the 2 year dose and really don't put more fuel in than I need to.

Edited by - 6hypo5conv on 07/05/2011 06:20:24

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

ZRay, Do you use one specific brand of fuel in yours or do you experiment? I always use a name brand to get the benefit of the particular companies additives........."

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I try to always use Shell premium which is 93 octane in this area. It seems pretty consistent from tankful to tankful. I don't have any compelling logical reason for not using other name brands, except my obsessive-compulsive nature.

Z.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I try to always use Shell premium which is 93 octane in this area. It seems pretty consistent from tankful to tankful. I don't have any compelling logical reason for not using other name brands, except my obsessive-compulsive nature.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'm the same way and try to use the same gas in my daily driver... a 400hp 32V V8 "family car". It does require high octane though and my chip tune also requires it.

• I haven't driven my car enough lately to need gas (too hot), but when I do, I'll try the marine gas and let everyone know how it works. I've used 100/110 octane low lead avgas in my Cobra and it ran fine, but quit when I read somewhere that avgas doesn't have enough lubricant for car engines. Don't know whether that is true or not. As info, Ford's original owners' manual recommended octane of "at least 101" for HiPo's, 99 octane for 4v 289's, 92 for 2v 289's and 200 sixes. I suspect the octane ratings were different then.

• I think you are right about the octane ratings being different from 1965 until now.

I wonder if there is a way to compaire one to the other to see if todays premimum fuels are anywhere close to what the engines truely required back then.

I have only driven my car about 10 miles in the 2 years since its been restored and certainly have not run it hard enough to see if the fuel octane is enough straight from the pump at 93.

I guess time will tell....

• I'm pretty sure that today's "93" octane fuel is fairly close to what used to be available in the 1960's. I've been driving 289 HiPo powered cars since 1969, and have NEVER had a problem with fuel vs engine performance over all the years.

Back in the Sixties and early Seventies, I used the old leaded Sunoco 260 "Super Premium" as well as the original Amoco <i>unleaded</i> premium that was also available <i>before</i> the ban on lead additives. Detonation was never a problem with a standard HiPo tune with BF-42 plugs.

Now, with the unleaded, E10 "93 Octane" fuel, my unrestored Kar still performs as good as ever, and hasn't seemed to lost any significant power. A few years ago, it ran a respectable 14.92 (from a roll) at Englishtown on skinny street radials.

[Blocked Image: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-6/1263969/EnglishtownRace.jpg]

• The Sunoco 260 was my gasoline of choice in my "original" K GT Convertible back in the early 70s, I always wondered why Amoco had "unleaded" "white gas" as everyone called it.

So I guess the only thing now to worry about now in regards to our Kars is the effect the Ethinol has on the rubber parts in the fuel system.I am sure my 4100 carb that Pony Carbs rebuilt/restored for me and the 3939S fuel pump that Fred did both are fine, but wonder about the shoet sections of rubber hose at the tank and at the front.

"............... but wonder about the shoet sections of rubber hose at the tank and at the front.

you can get "fuel injection rated" rubber hose at NAPA and other quality auto parts stores. It is more than up to the task of standing up to modern fuels.

Z.

• A related side note...I recently found a local 76 station selling pure gas and filled up my 2009 Ranger 4X4 with 87 octane. I have been using 87 octane E10 and average rock steady low-18's mpg. Just filled up again this morning and the tank of pure gas got 18.9 mpg, normal driving habits. The only times I've ever gotten over 18.5 mpg is on long road trips with mostly highway miles. This is only one tank but at least some food for thought...

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!