My Car's Birthday

• For the newer members of this forum, I'm re posting this from the site archives...It originally appeared here in 2005.

On February 15, 1965, Ford's Metuchen assembly line scheduled construction of a Wimbledon White Mustang coupe, VIN 5T07K134663...Besides the 289 High Performance Engine, Top Loader Four Speed, and 9" Rear with 3:50 Gears, the car was built with Disc Brakes, 4 Way Flashers, Rally Pac, S/S Wheels, Backup Lights, Visibility Group, AM Radio, Seat Belts, and a Heavy Duty Battery.

The original owner was 62 years old when he ordered this High Performance Mustang in December, 1964, from Lee Heffner Ford of Temple, PA. The car was delivered and invoiced March 31, 1965, just in time for his birthday, which is in March. The invoice was just under $3700.00, certainly not cheap considering the base 6 cylinder Mustang was only $2320.00.

Now it's February 15, 2011, and this unrestored Mustang is still running strong with just under 95,000 miles on the clock. The car drives great and is rattle free. Unfortunately, the original owner is now deceased. He was just one month short of seeing his 101st birthday. The date of death is ironically, February 15th, 2003, the same day as the scheduled build date of his car. He was a remarkable man, and had a deep interest in his former car to the end. The ONLY reason he sold the car at age 98 was because he finally couldn't drive it anymore, although he was still driving when he was 97!

I've remained in close contact with his daughter, who also loves the car, and often drove it herself, especially when her father got into his 90's. I've been to see her many times since he passed, and one time when I visited, she asked if she could take the car out for a run. I was happy to say yes. As she sat in the driver's seat, she said she felt that her father was looking down at her through the windshield, with a big smile on his face...

• Great post, Gene!! It is good to hear good stories of people relating to their Kars as family.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!