flywheel question

• Is there any difference between a regular 289 flywheel and a hipo flywheel? I have a new 157 tooth steel flywheel with no markings other than 157 stamped in it that I'd like to use if it will work.

thanks

• The balancing characteristics between the two are different. If you look at a Hipo flywheel you will see a lot more balancing drill holes than on a standard flywheel. The standard flywheel will be fine if you match balance it to your old flywheel.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• If you use the search features of this site you will find there has been a lot of discussion about HiPo flywheels. Be sure to include the "Archived Posts" in your searches.

Dave
    6S1757

• I used the search, and there is way to much speculation which leaves me more confused.

Is there an aftermarket flywheel that will work? If not, what are we supposed to do when all the original flywheels are gone? Centerforce doesn't have a 289K specific flywheel.

• Brock, Please note my previous post about match balancing a standard flywheel to your original. That would apply to any replacement flywheel if you wish to retain your balance characteristics. That way you can use any flywheel that you wish. If you were building a fresh engine, balancing would be a normal procedure.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks, Fred. The problem is that I am removing a 5 bolt non-K 289 from my K FB and replacing it with a fresh 289K engine that came without a flywheel. I don't have a hipo flywheel to reference, just an aftermarket steel unit that was on the 5 bolt.

Edited by - 1966KGT on 04/30/2009 13:21:31

• Talk to a good machine shop and ask them if the can balance each part seperately - you should be able to find the HiPo balance numbers in a previous post. If the shop can balance the flywheel to these specs you should be in the ball park - at least better than using the normal 289 flywheel.

You might also contact a clutch/flywheel supplier and see if they can make one special for you.

Since your engine is already together you can't do the crank, balancer, hatchet, and flywheel together.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!