Console or Not?

• I have a factoty HiPo GT Fastback with light Ivy Gold and White deluxe interior,Ivy Green exterior and 4 speed. The car was ordered without a console and I love it. I noticed that the car in the picture has dark green carpet and a darker matching dash pad both are correct and I like either. I've just purchased a 1966 C code convertible with the lighter appointments (carpet and dash pad). This is my third one with this color combination. Those appointments seem to follow me.

• Richard,

My dash pad is original/correct (I think). My vert was ordered just like yours and had two tone ivy gold/white. I changed it as if it were a '65 and had white interior. I kept the dash pad, and put in the green carpet you see on the lower pic last year. It's not a correct '66 color, but it matches perfect. The toe/heel pad and edges match the dash perfectly. Brant at VA mustang kept sending me samples until we found the right hue, and then custom ordered me all the carpet for the car, including floor mats (not seen here). I'm thrilled with the interior now. Just contemplating putting the console back in. I have the humphugger now, and love having a place for my right arm and cup holders with a large storage area.... I added the console years ago, as it wasn't with the car when I found it.

Does your fastback have a different color dash than mine??

Edited by - 66gtk on 03/23/2009 17:07:21

• I voted for no console.

My fastback has no console & I think the man shifter then becomes a focus point & looks great. That said, my car has a std interior which I think lends itself to a simpler layout.....

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>I'm a huge fan of consoles, but ran w/o one for near 8 yrs in the Hipo and liked the somewhat spartan look. But a couple of years back I made the leap and did install one. The extra bit of additional storage space is a help. Especially this year since the wife & I are driving it to Birmingham.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• I like the look of the console on the early Mustangs, but not so much on the 69/70. I guess cause you rarly see them in early cars but most later ones have them. Plus the console will hide the poor fitting carpet!

Larry

• I have been going back and forth myself.My car came with a black pony interior and no console.I have always liked the way the console looks and purchased one last year to install when the time comes.But at Carlisle last year I really liked the way the Cobra Jets looked without consoles.I have a way to go before I need to make a decision.

In the case of your car I think the console is the way to go.A black interior can be spartan and still look good.I think your interior is very classy and the console just adds to it.Its one of the nicest I seen,anywhere.

mike

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!