Newbie w/ '65 fastback, 3rd owner

• Hello everyone,

I recently joined to network with enthusiasts and helpful friends as I look to get more involved with my very first car. I purchased my black-on-black K-code for $900 when I was 18. I am the third owner. It originally sold Feb. 16, 1965 to a gentleman in Beaverton, Oregon. Sticker price was $3,747.40. Besides the HiPo engine, other options include disc brakes, AM radio, RallyPac, styled steel wheels and electric wipers.

I don't know when the second owner purchased it, but he brought it to New Mexico where I was living and I took the title in late summer 1972. He used the money to buy a 1969 Boss 302. A couple years later he came back to offer me his Boss because he was buying a Pantera. Wish I would have bought that one!

When I bought my Mustang it had Shelby Koni shocks, Ford LeMans cam and a Holley 4V (680 or 650 cfm?). I installed Mickey Thompson headers, Mallory ignition, Cobra valve covers and smaller Shelby cam (don't remember specs). I raced it in college and finally blew the motor in 1977. I bought a Dodge Charger and left the Mustang with my dad. He had a new short block (not K-code spec) installed and we've played with it on and off since.

The car was used for a few resto articles in Mustang magazine in the early '90s. I know the Rally Pac and original dual-point distributor were restored in step-by-step stories, and I think the 4-speed. The car was also used for a cam-manifold-carb swap resto-mod story, which is the setup still under the hood. Some day I will ask the forum to help me ID those articles so I can try to find back issues on eBay. I really don't remember when they ran.

Otherwise, the car is mostly original. Shocks have been replaced, and I have some new leaf springs. Carpet, seat covers, steering wheel and some trim have also been replaced. It's never been bent except for a shallow football-size wrinkle in the right rear quarter panel. It was painted white at one time, but I recently had a nice black squirted on. My current goal is to piece together a mostly correct short block and rebuild the engine. I have all the original engine pieces except the short block and carb. I'm not really prepared to build a 1000-point trailer queen. I want to play with my first car some more before passing it on to my daughter. But I do want to get it as close to factory within in my budget, both time and money.

I really enjoy this forum and community. Looking forward to everyone's input and fellowship.

Mike

• Hey Mike.

Welcome along, and great story. I couldn't think of a better first car. You've definitely come to the right place for knowledge. The guys are very friendly and knowledgeable, they've helped me out heaps.

Good luck with the car.

Regards,

René

• Welcome to the site, Mike. It is good that you were able to still have your first car at this point in your life when you appreciate it more.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Mike, Welcome aboard! Great to hear your Koupe survived to live another day. Post a picture of your car, chances are there are enough mustang fanatics on this site that have kept every monthly mustang magazine every published (myself included). A picture and the approximate date might narrow the search to find the articles about your car.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!