65 Mustang front disk brakes

• I have a 65 "K" mustang and I'm changing it from front drum to disk brakes. I have all the ford KH parts for the change over but recently found that the pedal might not be the same? Please provide some info, thank you,

• I have a 65 "K" mustang and I'm changing it from front drum to disk brakes. I have all the ford KH parts for the change over but recently found that the pedal might not be the same? Please provide some info, thank you,

Ford moved the pin that attaches the master cylinder push rod slightly lower on the pedal arm giving the master cylinder a slightly longer stroke. That pedal arm will also be stamped with a "D" either above or below the pin.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• If its a K code , it should already have disc brakes.

If it is a K code Maybe a previous owner removed the disc brakes and installed drums? but why?

• If its a K code , it should already have disc brakes.

If it is a K code Maybe a previous owner removed the disc brakes and installed drums? but why?

The Kars only had disc brakes as standard if they were a GT. All other Kars had drum brakes unless they ordered them as a separate option. One of my Kars is a drum brake Kar and I have seen many others with drum brakes. The first time that I saw a Kar with drum brakes my thoughts were the same as yours.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• My non GT 65 kcode does not have disc brakes.

I ´ m doing the conversion.

Could we keep the original brake pedal?

The pedals are different. Please read the rest of this thread and make your own decision. Keep in mind that Ford would not have spent an extra nickel to do anything if they could avoid it.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Question….. if the hole is lower wouldn’t it also change the leverage point and make it easier to apply the brakes since the Kars do not have power brakes? I don’t know if the disc brakes are harder to apply of not. Never drove a non-power disc brake car. Moot point if the power brake cars also had the lower hole.. A lot of engineering with master cylinder size and stroke to move the fluid in those calipers properly.

Would it matter if he is also swapping to a dual master?

Edited once, last by 289kford (September 22, 2023 at 2:12 AM).

• With the fixed pivot top and your foot on bottom, I'm thinking the lower the hole is, the harder to press and longer the travel.

Imagining a really long 8 foot pedal with the master cylinder rod connected at the very bottom by your foot would be the hardest to push, attached next to the top pivot would make the longest lever and therefore easiest to push. ?

65 FastbacK early San Jose Twilight Turquoise 4 Speed
    66 Mustang Coupe Maroon C-Code Auto
    67 Fairlane Convertible Light Metallic Green 200 I6, Three on the Tree

• With the fixed pivot top and your foot on bottom, I'm thinking the lower the hole is, the harder to press and longer the travel.

Imagining a really long 8 foot pedal with the master cylinder rod connected at the very bottom by your foot would be the hardest to push, attached next to the top pivot would make the longest lever and therefore easiest to push. ?

Absolutely correct.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!