Hipo 289 Warranty Replacement?

• Hi: I have a ‘65 K-code fastback but the stamp on the engine block shows a different K-code VIN which is not in the registry. I’m wondering if this might be a factory warranty replacement as it seems like a long shot to find a spare Hipo 289 to replace one’s original engine. Has anyone run into this before?

• I'm not 100% sure about this, but from what I've read a warranty replacement is unlikely to have been VIN stamped, and if they went to the trouble to stamp it with a true VIN it would be the VIN of the vehicle it was installed in (what other VIN could they/would they use?) There are some k-code engines out there with no VIN stamp, these are assumed to be Ford Service Replacements. So I'm guessing yours is likely to be a swap from another k-code.

• Official Post

It is extremely unlikely that a wrongly VIN stamped block would have been a warranty replacement, especially considering the very short 90 day, 4,000 mile warranty. One of my 66 Kars has a 65 VIN stamped engine and I am the one who bought it and installed it a few years back. It does not match for the VIN but at least it is a true Hipo.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• My car doesn't have the VIN on either the engine or trans but both are definitely hipo. When I rebuilt the engine the original pistons, cam, crank, rods were all there. The heads are hipo as well.

Someone told me that if the VIN stamps are missing it is not the original drivetrain period which I suppose I can't prove otherwise but why would the engine and trans not have the VIN stamp?

I guess the engine could be a replacement block. That would not too hard to believe and if so is there a way to tell replacement blocks? But why would the trans have the correct tag but no VIN stamp? Someone blew the whole drivetrain?

• Official Post

My car doesn't have the VIN on either the engine or trans but both are definitely hipo. When I rebuilt the engine the original pistons, cam, crank, rods were all there. The heads are hipo as well.

Someone told me that if the VIN stamps are missing it is not the original drivetrain period which I suppose I can't prove otherwise but why would the engine and trans not have the VIN stamp?

I guess the engine could be a replacement block. That would not too hard to believe and if so is there a way to tell replacement blocks? But why would the trans have the correct tag but no VIN stamp? Someone blew the whole drivetrain?

Is your Kar a Metucheon unit? 38 years ago I had a 66 Metucheon Hipo GT pony interior T5 convertible and it did not have VIN stamps on the engine and transmission and the date code were correct. At this point you need to be looking at date codes on your castings to see if they line up. If not, I have a very logical explanation for replacement engine and transmission. That would be auto theft which happened a lot back in the day. There were many performance cars of all brands stolen for their drive trains.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Mine is a Metucheon car. The date code on the door data plate is 15 M.

The heads have a 5L5 date code. The intake has a 5H27 date code and the engine assembly stamp is 5M21d. I lost my picture of the engine block casting date. It it too hot right now to get under there and take the starter off.

The transmission case has an L-8 date code. The casting code on the transmission case is C5AR-7006-D W-2. The tailshaft has C4ZR-7A048-A and date J22.

The diff cover has what looks like 5M10 date code.

So it is established that this happened more often at Metucheon? Do you know if they marked replacement engine blocks any different than the original blocks anywhere?

• Official Post

The only thing that throws your dates off for original is that the engine assembly date is 6 days after the Kars projected build date. That is not necessarily an issue as Ford was having a tough time generally keeping up with the demand for any 289 engines. Unlike GM, Ford did not use any identification marks for replacement short blocks. GM did stamp CE numbers on short blocks but not on bare blocks. This was common to Chevrolet but I am unclear if other GM divisions did the same thing.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Edited once, last by 6T09KGT (July 27, 2022 at 1:35 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!