Correct water pump cast or Aluminum

• Hey guys I’ve been combing the web for days now looking for an answer I trust is correct, and it’s not going well. Now that I have my original vin stamped motor I really want to make it right. The problem is without the engine tag and the block being naked when Evan found it the proper timing cover and water pump appear to be a muddy subject. Looks like the change from CL7 to CL8 happened sometime during the month of may in 1965. Here is the issue, my car build date is June 8 1965 (after the change) But the engine assembly date is April 15 1965 prior to the change. I would think the engine was assembled during the CL7 period and the water pump/timing cover would have been installed during engine assembly. Can anyone confirm that the change level would have followed the engine and not the car and my car would have had the aluminum style system? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been beating my head on the wall over this one…and I am really hoping I am wrong because the cast pump has already been purchased for the car…but I want it right. :)

• Hey guys I’ve been combing the web for days now looking for an answer I trust is correct, and it’s not going well. Now that I have my original vin stamped motor I really want to make it right. The problem is without the engine tag and the block being naked when Evan found it the proper timing cover and water pump appear to be a muddy subject. Looks like the change from CL7 to CL8 happened sometime during the month of may in 1965. Here is the issue, my car build date is June 8 1965 (after the change) But the engine assembly date is April 15 1965 prior to the change. I would think the engine was assembled during the CL7 period and the water pump/timing cover would have been installed during engine assembly. Can anyone confirm that the change level would have followed the engine and not the car and my car would have had the aluminum style system? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been beating my head on the wall over this one…and I am really hoping I am wrong because the cast pump has already been purchased for the car…but I want it right. :)

This one is a tough call. Maybe Charles Turner or Phill Beresford can chime in on this.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• my opinion for what its worth is based on a couple of 65 hipo cars and a few A code mustangs that have been either side of your April 15 1965 engine assembly date. The door tag date is not relevant on this topic

i think you should be looking for a aluminum water pump for your car.

the first example of a 65 cast iron water pump used on a 65 engine i have seen had a engine assembly date of May 4th 1965. sorry i dont have a image of the engine tag from this car to see what the engine level change was.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD

MELBOURNE.

AUSTRALIA.

• You are the Man!

You confirmed what I thought. The water is so muddy I think I could “get away” with using either pump. how-ever I doubt I would be able to find a “cast type” timing cover with feb, March, or April date I don’t think they were made that early.

Thank you so much for the information!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!