C6ZF Carb Assembly Dates

• Don't post over here much at all though I do visit. Looking for any documentation, observation or input related to the assembly dates found on either of these two carburetors. As of right now what I'm founding is only groupings on specific dates sometimes close other times with a great amount of time from an earlier date.

So if you have any information to help from an original tag please help by identifying which model/carb it is and the assembly date (smaller lower line) stamping. Currently have only about ten examples to start with

Thanks

• Jeff,

Let me know if you need anything else:

CARB TAG:

C6ZF-F 1966

A 5JC A- Design Change,

Assembly Code: 1965, September, Third Week

Ford 4100-A, Manual Choke, 1.12 venturi 4V, Auto 600 CFM

Car is Metuchen build 3/26/66

• Don't post over here much at all though I do visit. Looking for any documentation, observation or input related to the assembly dates found on either of these two carburetors. As of right now what I'm founding is only groupings on specific dates sometimes close other times with a great amount of time from an earlier date.

So if you have any information to help from an original tag please help by identifying which model/carb it is and the assembly date (smaller lower line) stamping. Currently have only about ten examples to start with

Thanks

Jeff, I am sending you an email requesting pictures of what you have and then I can go through the ones that I have to see if I have any that are different.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• posted a new thread but wanted to post here also, have NOS C6ZF-F carb bought about 20 years ago at a Ford show at National Trails Dragway - Columbus Ohio on labor day weekend, it's for my 66 Hertz Shelby, has original FOMOCO tag and date code A5HE, correct booster venturis and jets, never seen another in person only heard about them, I've had it side by side with a C6ZF-C carb at Ford Carlisle show and it looks identical from the outside other than numbers, willing to share information with anyone looking to find one but it is NOT for sale

• A is your assembly design level 5HE is the assembly date code. Information I collected when I did my survey shown below in graphic form. I am interested in details. I collect information in a large spreadsheet on running changes of small parts and any step changes like between Level A and Level B.

temp.jpg

Dan

• In general, in many Ford 2100/4100-A models some parts changed over time and inspection markings changed over time. Main body and air horn castings were not all the same. Materials of construction of some parts changed. In some models, some calibrated air and fuel orifices changed over time (not main jets so far).

The 1963-64 HP289 model I have studied the most was used for right at a 12 month period covering portions of two car model years and in that time several different versions were made including things like balance tube air jet sizes and economy valve channel fuel jet sizes. In one service replacement group the primary auxiliary booster assemblies were different.

New old stock anything is usually self-evident. Where collected data comes in handy helping owners with a) a carburetor that has been remanufactured one to several times, b) carburetors that were owner modified decades ago, c) carburetors that were robbed of parts, or d) carburetors that have been assembled from whatever parts somebody was able locate.

As a general statement, does not apply to every carburetor shop, remanufactures and some that claim to be restorers tend to scramble parts without much regard for how the carburetor in their care was made originally. Example: Using a 1965 model year design primary throttle shaft assembly to repair a 1963 model year carburetor.

Not every owner cares about original details but some do and they appreciate having somebody to help evaluate what they have or might be planning on buying. Original parts, even common ones, in great condition can be hard to come up with and expensive to pay for. At times prepurchase home work and saves lots of resources in the long run.

I started my C6ZF-9510-C and C6ZF-9510-F units data collection to help friends with 1966 MUSTANG GT350s that original were fit with Ford 4100-A carburetors.

To date, car owners, parts dealers, and one carburetor shop have helped the data collection process by providing in focus good to high resolution digital pictures of units they have in hand from many angles. I have not had anyone use precision pin gauges to measure balance tube, secondary vacuum passage bore, accelerator pump killer bleed, or economy valve channel fuel jets yet in the 1966-67 C6ZF-9510-C and C6ZF-9510-F models yet . I have done such measuring for C3OF-AJ and C4OF-AL models.

Dan

• Gathering detailed information for everything I can helps functional and appearance work. This is a C4OF-9510-AT carburetor for June-July 1964 Fairlanes, 1965 Fairlanes, and 1965 Cobras with 289 High Performance engines made to use with automatic transmissions. I cleaned parts, obtained original pieces to replace missing one, and recreated the best I could the paint daubs and grease pencil inspection marks lost during cleaning. The air cleaner stud is a new old stock one the car owner sent me. (No hard media blasting or harsh chemicals were used to service this carburetor.)

LH side.JPG

Having data on what it was like originally helped in repairs and verified that details like economy valve channel jets had not been drilled out.

Dan

• old school guy here just trying to help anyone I can, not good at computers, pictures or any of that type of thing, I'm used to talking to people person to person, used to meet people at Carlisle and Hershey to view and compare parts, I guess that's pretty scary in todays world, first Shelby was delivered to Carlisle from Connecticut, last one was found at Carlisle in 2000, cut up about 50 Mustangs for parts in the old days and did very well before everything was reproduced, stlil have most of my original parts stash of about 50 yrs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!