Used C4OE Bare Block

• Here is an Ebay auction for a used C4OE bare block by Ebay member "isaiahshi58 " with a Buy-It-Now of $5,000.00:

Very Rare 289 Hipo Block From A 64-65 AC Cobra Five Bolt C4OE-6015-F. This block just came back from the machine shop it has been Sonic tested it is a standard bore have paperwork if there is any questions please email.

Very Rare 289 Hipo Block From A 64-65 AC Cobra Five Bolt C4OE-6015-F | eBay

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a used C4OE bare block by Ebay member "isaiahshi58 " with a Buy-It-Now of $5,000.00:

Very Rare 289 Hipo Block From A 64-65 AC Cobra Five Bolt C4OE-6015-F. This block just came back from the machine shop it has been Sonic tested it is a standard bore have paperwork if there is any questions please email.

Very Rare 289 Hipo Block From A 64-65 AC Cobra Five Bolt C4OE-6015-F | eBay

-Fred-

This block is advertised as a Hipo 289 block. It was cast April 28, 1965 which is well after production line 5 bolt Hipo blocks were cast. It also has Mexican main bearing caps which were not available at the time this block was cast. Therefore it is unlikely that it actually is a Hipo block due to the lack of original Hipo main bearing caps. I am unaware of Ford still producing complete 5 bolt Hipo 289 engines at that late date. I am unclear as to whether the 4 digit Hipo serial number was stamped on short blocks, but I doubt it. Therefore if it does not have the 4 digit Hipo serial number, it would be near impossible to prove its' Hipo 289 stated pedigree. I am certainly open to discussion on this.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Ford stopped numbering five bolt engines as the 1964 model year stopped. Ford made a run of five bolt engines for Shelby American in August 1964 that were not numbered. That was after six bolt engines were introduced.

Ford was required to provide service engines for years. I have seen pictures of a service five bolt engine assembled long after 1964.

Dan

• The listing for this block was ended by the seller February 14, 2021 with the following explanation :This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing".

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Ford stopped numbering five bolt engines as the 1964 model year stopped. Ford made a run of five bolt engines for Shelby American in August 1964 that were not numbered. That was after six bolt engines were introduced.

Ford was required to provide service engines for years. I have seen pictures of a service five bolt engine assembled long after 1964.

Dan, this is good information as I was unsure of when the engine numbers were no longer stamped.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• You are welcome, that was the 1964 Fairlane engine model year closure that ended engine serial numbers. Bob Mannel's last known assembly date published for a numbered five bolt engine was in early July 1964.

1965 model year six bolt engine assembly replaced them as the new product. 221/260/289 engines, which were made in Cleveland were all referenced as Fairlane engines. Even early Shelby advertising and magazines called engines in Cobras Fairlane engines. (Tip: Calling them Windsor engines is a technical and historical mistake.)

I have seen pictures of a five bolt service replacement engine with an assembly date in 1971. That makes sense to me because Ford had to be able to supply some type service replacement for ten years after production ended. I bought some "new" 1963-66 Ford FE engine rocker shaft and arm assemblies in 1975 at the local Ford dealer. The parts had inked date stamps on them. The assemblies were made a week AFTER I ordered them.

Dan

Edited 2 times, last by Dan Case: add detail (February 15, 2021 at 4:27 PM).

• Official Post

Hi - I am interested in this block:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ford-289-e…S0AAOSw5J5gOFAT

Are there any general thoughts you can share with me just from the pics? Price reasonable?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Anthony

Once the rust is removed, make sure that the block gets Magnafluxed for any possible cracks. If you do not have the proper main caps, I do have a set.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thank you! Yes, I was going to have it Magnafluxed if I purchase it. I don't necessarily need a 5-bolt, so not sure I want to pay a premium for one due to rarity. A clean, standard-bore 6-bolt (or ideally an entire HiPo engine) was my initial search plan.

Anthony

• Official Post

For what vehicle are you seeking a Hipo engine?

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I am currently searching for a '65/'66 Fastback K-Code and simultaneously searchng for parts to build my own engine to put into it. If the car that meets my criteria has a numbers-matching engine, I will be setting it aside to preserve it and will put my own build in it. I am searching for a K-code with good provenance, history, and ideally a racing history. (I have a want-ad on this site as well)

• Official Post

Keep in mind that no K code fastbacks ever came originally with a 5 bolt engine. Fastbacks were produced after the 6 bolt engine was used.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Oh great - thanks for alerting me to this - I didn't know of this important fact - I have to re-review my literature and make note of this. So coupes and convertibles only? Thank you

• Have you verified that the correct caps are included? They're not pictured in the auction and the seller states "all bolt on items have long been sold." Seems like a lot of money for a block with no caps.

• Thank you everyone - I'm not going to buy it, as I was just alerted yesterday by Fred that early Fastbacks never came with 5-bolt blocks. I did feel the price was very high without the caps. Also, it wasn't Magnafluxed.

Anthony

• I have a 66 VIN stamped block dated 6G20. I purchased it years ago. Upon teardown I had the block and crank magnafluxed. The block came back with a crack showing in the water jacket on the rear of the block (you can't see it) and a small one if the lifter valley, also not visible by naked eye, but it showed up on the test. I ended up parting out everything. Given the newer developments in crack repairs, epoxies, etc. I think it could be repaired. There's no caps, those were sold long ago. VIN decodes it was a fastback. It's yours if you want it. I think it's still standard, I'd have to check.

Looking at shipping it might not be viable.

Edited once, last by tater_51 (March 4, 2021 at 4:19 AM).

• I have a 66 VIN stamped block dated 6G20. I purchased it years ago. Upon teardown I had the block and crank magnafluxed. The block came back with a crack showing in the water jacket on the rear of the block (you can't see it) and a small one if the lifter valley, also not visible by naked eye, but it showed up on the test. I ended up parting out everything. Given the newer developments in crack repairs, epoxies, etc. I think it could be repaired. There's no caps, those were sold long ago. VIN decodes it was a fastback. It's yours if you want it. I think it's still standard, I'd have to check.

Thank you very much for the generous offer - I really do appreciate the gesture and the information! I'm very finicky and particular (being an engineer, I can't help it ; )) - I'm going to contuniue my search to find a block, but again, thank you very much! This offer really shows your true enthusiasm in the hobby and willingness to help other enthusiasts!

Anthony

• I'll stick it back in the corner if you ever change your mind. I was hoping you were closer. I totally understand, I'm the same way. I'm sure if your patient you'll find what your looking for. If I see something listed, craigslist, whatever, I'll send it along. I spent years chasing parts for my Fairlane, that's half the fun. Terry

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!