Export Brace Reinforcement question

• Gents,

This is a picture of a 66 GT350 with an export brace reinforcement. It is my understanding these were not installed on K-codes by ford but reinforced when Shelby got the kars he would turn into gt350s. Question 1) Did Ford have export braces installed on K-codes? Question 2) If so, why did Ford not use an export brace reinforcement plate?

• Official Post

Gents,

This is a picture of a 66 GT350 with an export brace reinforcement. It is my understanding these were not installed on K-codes by ford but reinforced when Shelby got the kars he would turn into gt350s. Question 1) Did Ford have export braces installed on K-codes? Question 2) If so, why did Ford not use an export brace reinforcement plate?

Ford only installed export braces on any Mustang that was being exported, mostly overseas and south America. Canadian exports normally did not get them. Every Ford installed export brace did have the reinforcement plate. The very first Shelby 003 did NOT have an export brace from Ford or Shelby.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I bought my late 65 from the original owner in 1974. It had standard mustang braces. I knew a guy with a 65 K and a guy with a 66 K regular braces. The only mustangs I have seen with the weld on plate and xport brace were the 65-66 GT350.

5F09K677490 !!!

• Official Post

I have had two T-5 66 Mustangs that had the weld on the reinforcement plate for the export brace. One was a standard fastback and the other was a Hipo convertible. The reinforcement is normal on Ford installed export braces. Also keep in mind that the Ford installed export braces for 65 and 66 are different in the hole spacing at the firewall compared to the holes on the cowl and 67 and later export braces.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I too have seen a 66 K GT convertible T-5 that had the welded on reinforcement plate to pair up with the export brace. The car is a different one than the car Fred owned. Probably exported to Europe for someone serving in the military back in the day.

• I always add the reinforcement plate on cars that are missing one . On my ‘65 K code shown in the photo below, I installed the export brace (with the evenly spaced holes) and the plate as well. The difference in chassis stability makes that period correct modification an easy decision.

Several times I’ve removed an export brace that appeared to be on tight only to find the cowl lip holes have been oval-ed out due to the reinforcement plate missing.

Every ‘66 Shelby I’ve owned had had both the export brace and the reinforcement plate. The plates are welded in place, which is the only correct way to have it installed. if one is lacking a welder, it only takes 10 minutes at a welding shop to get it done. They will do a good job of protecting the surrounding paint with welding blankets.

Z6F87B903-1A06-403C-A9B8-BC5F4A6052A7_autoscaled.jpg

Edited once, last by zray (December 21, 2020 at 4:09 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!