• I pulled this cam from the HiPo motor I'm parting out. I can't seem to ID it. From what I can find, a stock HiPo solid lifter cam should be marked with a "VE." The stock 260 hydraulic lifter cam is marked with "UA." This cam is marked "XUA." My guess would be it's not a HiPo cam, but the motor DID have solid lifters.

[Blocked Image: https://i.postimg.cc/HLwWw6cy/IMG-0332.jpg]

• Official Post

I pulled this cam from the HiPo motor I'm parting out. I can't seem to ID it. From what I can find, a stock HiPo solid lifter cam should be marked with a "VE." The stock 260 hydraulic lifter cam is marked with "UA." This cam is marked "XUA." My guess would be it's not a HiPo cam, but the motor DID have solid lifters.

[Blocked Image: https://i.postimg.cc/HLwWw6cy/IMG-0332.jpg]

I am unable to type the actual way the markings are on the Hipo cam but it is an upside down "A" with a right side up "E". The "UA" is not shown with the "X" above it in my Ford MPC but I have seen the "X" before on what I believe was a C7FE Le Mans cam but not with the "UA". You are correct that the "UA" is a standard hydraulic cam. You could begin your checking by measuring the height of your lobes as The Hipo is higher than a standard 289 cam. I just had a couple of my original Hipo cam cores reground by my local cam grinder who has been doing this for over 40 years. It is possible that your cam was reground in the past but if not, I can get it done quickly.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to ID it because a member here wants to buy it and I don't want to send him something that isn't what he wants. Another thing that throws me off a bit is that it has orange paint on it behind the distributor gear like the HiPo cams I've seen on the web. Yeah, I know the marking is actually an upside down "A" but since we can't type inverted letters, I just showed it as "VE." Thanks again for the help.

• Official Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to ID it because a member here wants to buy it and I don't want to send him something that isn't what he wants. Another thing that throws me off a bit is that it has orange paint on it behind the distributor gear like the HiPo cams I've seen on the web. Yeah, I know the marking is actually an upside down "A" but since we can't type inverted letters, I just showed it as "VE." Thanks again for the help.

If you measured your cam lobe, you can determine what you actually do have. The way to measure that more accurately is by having the camshaft in the block with at least one lifter. If you measure from the lifters lowest point on the cam to the highest point on the cam you will either have .298 for a Hipo cam or .230 for a standard cam. This is a big enough difference to readily measure.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!