Seriously Looking to buy a 1965 289 block std bore must be in very nice cond..

• Hi , im in need of a 1965 289 block 6 bolt in very nice cond im in Chesapeake va.

If you are building a 64 1/2, you will need a 5 bolt and NOT a 6 bolt block.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• True, however i want a 6 bolt 289 block it doesnt need to be vin stamped. But id prefer it be.

Standard bore K code six bolt blocks are in very high demand and command very high prices. If your only concern is the beefier main caps, which is the only difference, you can install Mexican caps on a regular block for far less money. You can also buy original Hipo caps for a regular block but then you are investing unnecessary funds. This is not like a 427 Ford with cross bolt mains where someone can see from the outside what is inside your engine. Why the need for a 6 bolt block over a 5 bolt block?

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Because.... thats what i want! A 5 bolt block is not as durable in the rear for one and two i dont want mexican caps on a 5 bolt block , i want a real 6 bolt hipo block or a nice regular 289 block that i can use real k code caps on it and have it align bored to fit.

The standard bore 6 bolt Hipo blocks are far and few between. A real one with a VIN stamp sells for $3,500 plus shipping. I know because that is what people have been paying me and that is within the last couple of months. I am just trying to give you some guidance on what is realistic. Yes, I also have Hipo main caps but they are also not cheap. None of this adds any performance to your car. Ford only did these blocks like this for more durability. If Ford had really wanted even more durability "back in the day", they should have used a forged crankshaft and forged pistons like their Chevrolet competitor did. Hipo heads do not deliver any extra horsepower either. They come with screw in studs and valve spring seats which are really only for durability. The Hipo heads have the same valves and ports that a 225 horse engine has. What helps with the factory horsepower increase over the 225 horse engine is the slightly larger carburetor, camshaft and a more free flowing exhaust. The dual point distributor makes the engine capable of higher RPM's which means that the horsepower is exchanged more times per second. The best reworked Hipo heads "back in the day" are not as good as some current aftermarket heads straight out of the box. The only time that original Hipo pieces are important is when you have a real Kar for the engine. Do not misunderstand my statements here as I am NOT down on the Hipo 289 engine. I have owned and still own a dozen Hipo 289 cars over many years. I do pride myself on having drivetrains as original. Is the Hipo 289 fast? Yes, but its best attribute is the rarity of the vehicles that came with the engine from the factory. Ford does well in documentation of that with the K in the serial number, except for Comets.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I looked into the shipping the block with the crank, cam & timing cover to your location, it is close to 600.00 ,with that being said I would not want to sell it until it had been hot tank cleaned and magged for defects or cracks, that being said I am unable to get that done at this time due to the social distance order in effect which has shut down any business that could do that for me at this time, however as I was looking at craigs list as I do from time to time and I did see a listing in Winchester Virginia in the auto parts section there is a seller that has bundle of hi perf ford parts blocks, heads on and on, I believe that is very close to your location in va it would be well worth your time to look into that for your block or anything else you might need .

• Looking further into shipping large /heavy items have found that due to the virus state orders in effect most of the lower rate shipping companies such as Fastenal and others are not giving shipping quotes and are on hold until they get a green light to do so, just have to wait it out.

• Official Post

Looking further into shipping large /heavy items have found that due to the virus state orders in effect most of the lower rate shipping companies such as Fastenal and others are not giving shipping quotes and are on hold until they get a green light to do so, just have to wait it out.

Chuck, This is great information that blind sided me as I really thought that shipping was considered an essential service.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Because.... thats what i want! A 5 bolt block is not as durable in the rear for one and two i dont want mexican caps on a 5 bolt block , i want a real 6 bolt hipo block or a nice regular 289 block that i can use real k code caps on it and have it align bored to fit.

The standard bore 6 bolt Hipo blocks are far and few between. A real one with a VIN stamp sells for $3,500 plus shipping. I know because that is what people have been paying me and that is within the last couple of months. I am just trying to give you some guidance on what is realistic. Yes, I also have Hipo main caps but they are also not cheap. None of this adds any performance to your car. Ford only did these blocks like this for more durability. If Ford had really wanted even more durability "back in the day", they should have used a forged crankshaft and forged pistons like their Chevrolet competitor did. Hipo heads do not deliver any extra horsepower either. They come with screw in studs and valve spring seats which are really only for durability. The Hipo heads have the same valves and ports that a 225 horse engine has. What helps with the factory horsepower increase over the 225 horse engine is the slightly larger carburetor, camshaft and a more free flowing exhaust. The dual point distributor makes the engine capable of higher RPM's which means that the horsepower is exchanged more times per second. The best reworked Hipo heads "back in the day" are not as good as some current aftermarket heads straight out of the box. The only time that original Hipo pieces are important is when you have a real Kar for the engine. Do not misunderstand my statements here as I am NOT down on the Hipo 289 engine. I have owned and still own a dozen Hipo 289 cars over many years. I do pride myself on having drivetrains as original. Is the Hipo 289 fast? Yes, but its best attribute is the rarity of the vehicles that came with the engine from the factory. Ford does well in documentation of that with the K in the serial number, except for Comets.

-Fred-

Hey Fred,

Interesting what you said about the Comets at the end. Most people don't Know that Ford was going to allow Mercury division to use the 289 HiPo in the 64 Comet but pulled the plug at the last min. They did however get the 1:12 autolite but not the manual choke version. I know because we use to run a 1964 Comet in NHRA SS/MA

Really neat piece I might add as well!

Great info,

Thanks!

1965 A code Coupe

with HiPo and 4 spd.

• Ford's change from five bolt bell housing blocks to six bolt design had nothing to do with block strength. Shelby ran five bolt engines in racing Cobras and early GT40s that could be used flat out road racing for up to 35 to 40 hours between rebuilds. Le Mans was a real engine proving ground.

The change to six bolt came about because some trucks out side of the USA needed a larger diameter clutch than you could fit behind a five bolt block. People think North America when they think of Ford engines but Ford was using or selling engines to multiple countries and continents for all kinds of vehicles. Not long ago I found a new old stock fuel pump for a 1962 Fairlane with a 260 2V engine for sale by a parts store in Europe.

There were "factory" forged steel 289 crankshafts and even some four bolt main 289 blocks by 1965. The "GT40" heads carrying C6FE prefix came out in 1965. These were all parts for Shelby American to use and were not available to the typical retail customer. There is a Cobra for sale right now that got a four bolt main steel crank race engine through noted Cobra racer Don Roberts decades ago. Ford even made a few single over head cam high performance engines. What street cars used and what Shelby American could get were often much different.

HP289s blueprinted to Ford-Shelby specifications, five or six bolt, were/are pretty durable except for the stock cast pistons which would suffer cracked skirts.

Dan

Edited once, last by Dan Case: add detail (June 17, 2020 at 8:22 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!