• Hey all, wondering if the oil pump used in a 66 K-Code is different then a standard 289 engines, is the stock one considered a high volume one? I keep seeing posts and such talking about high volume oil pumps when talking about our Kars, or was it the same used for all 289 engines and they are all considered high volume oil pumps?

Also, what the part number if you have it handy :)

Thanks as always,
    Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

• Hey all, wondering if the oil pump used in a 66 K-Code is different then a standard 289 engines, is the stock one considered a high volume one? I keep seeing posts and such talking about high volume oil pumps when talking about our Kars, or was it the same used for all 289 engines and they are all considered high volume oil pumps?

Also, what the part number if you have it handy :)

Thanks as always,
    Jason

The Ford engineers at the time felt that a special oil pump for a Hipo 289 was not needed. Considering all of the other special pieces for a Hipo 289, I am surprised that the standard 289 oil pump was felt to be sufficient. That pump is a C2OZ 66oo A and, of course, I have an NOS one in stock.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hey Fred,

Thanks for the response as always and that's what I figured was the case. Do you think it's another one of those "worth while upgrades" to do a high volume pump, or just leave it stock, as you know I do for the most part cruise my car, but do get on it at times pretty hard.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks as always,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

• Hey Fred,

Thanks for the response as always and that's what I figured was the case. Do you think it's another one of those "worth while upgrades" to do a high volume pump, or just leave it stock, as you know I do for the most part cruise my car, but do get on it at times pretty hard.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks as always,

Jason

Jason,

The current issue that you experienced was unrelated to an oiling problem. If you went to a high volume pump, it would be best to have a higher oil capacity as well such as Shelby did so that you would not take a chance of starving the oil pump.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• See, this is why I ask you Fred, things like that are good to know ;) Thanks for that information and I'll be sure to pass on that info to my builder. I'll ping you off line about the part...

Thanks again,

Jason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!