• Here is an Ebay auction for a 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "nevadawater4u" with a starting bid of $895.00 and a Buy-It-Now of $1,495.00:

Very Rare Genuine NOS CARTER 1965 & EARLY 1966 CARbureTER Button Top for FORD 289 HIPO CARS SHELBY, MUSTANG, FAIRLANE CARTER PUMP 3939S.
    This is NOS, NOT a remanufactured pump, New never installed in a car.
    ***It wasn’t stored properly so it do have cosmetic damage as seen in the pictures.***
    No box on this one.
    Has the correct arm 177-226, correct duel green springs, and is factory inked stamped C5OE-9350-E as seen in pictures. The pump was never stamped on the bottom edge with the pump number or date code so the proper date code could be added for any car which is a rare find.
    Fred Ballard -aka- “Flying Fred” out of CA had a look at the pump when he stopped by last month to pickup a hood and said his restoration service could take care of any cosmetic issues if needed. I can forward his info if you require it.
    Any questions let me know.
    Will be shipped insured with signature delivery confirmation required.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-FORD-1…=p2047675.l2557

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• This 3939-S Hipo fuel pump sold November 17, 2019 on Ebay for $1,495.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Quote from C6ZZKGT

This 3939-S Hipo fuel pump sold November 17, 2019 on Ebay for $1,495.00.

-Fred-

Even though this fuel pump is new, it has some blemishes and it still needs to be rebuilt to bring it up to current ethanol laced fuel standards. The new owner has already contacted me about restoring this pump for him.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Did he inquire about stamping numbers on it? Without the 3939S stamp or date code stamp plus the cosmetic issues turned me off. Also not fond of sellers that show boxes in their pictures and then state in the description "no box". Have you ever seen one not stamped before Fred?

1965 Silver Smoke Gray K GT Coupe
    1965 Springtime Yellow K Fastback
    1967 Vintage Burgandy K GT Coupe
    1970 Calypso Coral Boss 302
    1984 Light Canyon Red GT 5.0 Convertible (Original Owner)
    2012 Blaze Yellow Boss 302

• Quote from Hopeto

Did he inquire about stamping numbers on it? Without the 3939S stamp or date code stamp plus the cosmetic issues turned me off. Also not fond of sellers that show boxes in their pictures and then state in the description "no box". Have you ever seen one not stamped before Fred?

I totally agree with you in most cases where boxes are shown but do not come with the part unless the pieces were multiples in a package where you are not buying all of them. In this case, I do not believe that he was trying to mislead anyone with a Ford box but just giving the pump a background. What he used is not even a box for a fuel pump. He had a couple of unboxed NOS fuel pumps on his shelf when I was there. The only time that I have not seen stamped numbers on these pumps is when they have been rebuilt in the past and bead blasted so heavily that they disappeared. This one has never been rebuilt so that does not apply. Many times the original stampings on these pumps are lightly stamped and almost unreadable even with the pump in your hand and with a magnifying glass. This was not the case on this one. The ink stamped C5OE 9350 E number is a Ford engineering number similar to what you find on castings like intake manifolds and engine blocks. My Ford engineering number cross reference catalogs do not have this particular fuel pump number in it but the number does fit with the Ford part number of C5OZ 9350 A which is the correct 65 Hipo fuel pump part number. The fact that the 3939-S and date code are not stamped in the pump does not deter me from stating that this pump is correct. This works for me only because of my knowledge base on these pumps but would certainly not fly in a concurs show judging. If you were successful in keeping the ink stamp intact that would help establish the validity in my eyes. This ink stamped version is kind of like a Unicorn.

I know that Shelby guys are seeking C6OE 9350 C fuel pumps for their 67 GT500 cars and I have never seen a cross reference on that one either. I have also never seen a fuel pump ink stamped with that number.

It also, in this case, helps that I have dealt with this seller for many years. The Kar that he has is one that both of us were after a few years ago but I chose to walk away on it. I do not remember why I did though but we discussed it at the time.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "cobranda" with a starting bid of $289.00:

1964 1/2 - 1965 NOS MUSTANG 289 HIPO
    (FITS ALL MODELS & ALL BODIES)
    &
    1965 NOS SHELBY GT350
    CARTER BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY

NOS FORD PART#:
    ONE
    C5OZ-9350-A
    FUEL PUMP & FILTER
    W/GASKET

A BRAND NEW NOS FORD / CARTER FUEL PUMP: 64 1/2-65
    MUSTANG & 65 SHELBY GT350 289 HIPO V8 CARTER
    BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY, in the NOS FORD
    BROWN BOX

MADE by CARTER

FOR use on/with the 289 HIPO V8 ENGINES

FEATURES:
    ALUMINUM HOUSING
    FUEL FILTER & CANISTER
    CARTER BUTTON TOP
    MOUNTING GASKET to BLOCK
    - - - - -
    HAS the CARTER NAME CAST into 1 SIDE
    - - - - -
    CARTER PART#: 1719, & MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    CAST into the OTHER SIDE
    - - - - -

DATE CODE, CAST into the BOTTOM EDGE:
    17 M 1 C
    - - - - -
    NUMBER DATA, CAST into the OTHER BOTTOM EDGE:
    3939SB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-NOS-M…m4383.l4275.c10

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Keep in mind that although this is a 3939-S and a button top, it is NOT correct for a 1965 model. Both the casting of CARTER and the date code of December 17, 1971 take it out of contention for being correct. The correct casting will be CARbureTER Made in USA.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "cobranda" with a starting bid of $289.00:

1964 1/2 - 1965 NOS MUSTANG 289 HIPO
    (FITS ALL MODELS & ALL BODIES)
    &
    1965 NOS SHELBY GT350
    CARTER BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY

NOS FORD PART#:
    ONE
    C5OZ-9350-A
    FUEL PUMP & FILTER
    W/GASKET

A BRAND NEW NOS FORD / CARTER FUEL PUMP: 64 1/2-65
    MUSTANG & 65 SHELBY GT350 289 HIPO V8 CARTER
    BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY, in the NOS FORD
    BROWN BOX

MADE by CARTER

FOR use on/with the 289 HIPO V8 ENGINES

FEATURES:
    ALUMINUM HOUSING
    FUEL FILTER & CANISTER
    CARTER BUTTON TOP
    MOUNTING GASKET to BLOCK
    - - - - -
    HAS the CARTER NAME CAST into 1 SIDE
    - - - - -
    CARTER PART#: 1719, & MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    CAST into the OTHER SIDE
    - - - - -

DATE CODE, CAST into the BOTTOM EDGE:
    17 M 1 C
    - - - - -
    NUMBER DATA, CAST into the OTHER BOTTOM EDGE:
    3939SB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-…=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

-Fred-

Keep in mind that although this is a 3939-S and a button top, it is NOT correct for a 1965 model. Both the casting of CARTER and the date code of December 17, 1971 take it out of contention for being correct. The correct casting will be CARbureTER Made in USA.

-Fred-

This pump sold January 16, 2020 on Ebay for $371.00 with 8 bids from 4 bidders.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Quote from Hopeto

Did he inquire about stamping numbers on it? Without the 3939S stamp or date code stamp plus the cosmetic issues turned me off. Also not fond of sellers that show boxes in their pictures and then state in the description "no box". Have you ever seen one not stamped before Fred?

I totally agree with you in most cases where boxes are shown but do not come with the part unless the pieces were multiples in a package where you are not buying all of them. In this case, I do not believe that he was trying to mislead anyone with a Ford box but just giving the pump a background. What he used is not even a box for a fuel pump. He had a couple of unboxed NOS fuel pumps on his shelf when I was there. The only time that I have not seen stamped numbers on these pumps is when they have been rebuilt in the past and bead blasted so heavily that they disappeared. This one has never been rebuilt so that does not apply. Many times the original stampings on these pumps are lightly stamped and almost unreadable even with the pump in your hand and with a magnifying glass. This was not the case on this one. The ink stamped C5OE 9350 E number is a Ford engineering number similar to what you find on castings like intake manifolds and engine blocks. My Ford engineering number cross reference catalogs do not have this particular fuel pump number in it but the number does fit with the Ford part number of C5OZ 9350 A which is the correct 65 Hipo fuel pump part number. The fact that the 3939-S and date code are not stamped in the pump does not deter me from stating that this pump is correct. This works for me only because of my knowledge base on these pumps but would certainly not fly in a concurs show judging. If you were successful in keeping the ink stamp intact that would help establish the validity in my eyes. This ink stamped version is kind of like a Unicorn.

I know that Shelby guys are seeking C6OE 9350 C fuel pumps for their 67 GT500 cars and I have never seen a cross reference on that one either. I have also never seen a fuel pump ink stamped with that number.

It also, in this case, helps that I have dealt with this seller for many years. The Kar that he has is one that both of us were after a few years ago but I chose to walk away on it. I do not remember why I did though but we discussed it at the time.

-Fred-

I did end up restoring this pump for the new owner. I had done another pump that was similar but for a standard 289 rather than a Hipo 289. It had a July 1964 date code and the difference from the normal button top pumps is that the casting where the button fits on later than July 1964 pumps have an extra ring of casting material around the button. The button was staked four times at the top of the casting to help retain the button. The July 1964 pumps did not have the extra casting and were quite thin in that area. This made staking the button into the pump a scary proposition as the casting was very weak. The extra casting material was a running change by Carter and a good one. All that said, my feelings about the 3939-S pump in this auction are that it is a prototype pump and therefore did not receive anything more than the ink stamp, which I preserved.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "magmustangs" with a starting bid of $1,499.00:

1965 Ford Mustang, Fastback, Coupe, Convertible, GT, Shelby GT350, Cobra, Fairlane 500. NEW OLD STOCK 289 HIPO FUEL PUMP. This is an ORIGINAL FORD NOS PART. Brand New in the Box. Stamped 3939S on the flange. Button-Top Style. There are details that are not assembly line correct, but it is the correct service replacement, straight from Ford. The pump is in Show Quality NOS condition. It looks excellent without cosmetic issues. It would work fine but the seals should be inspected due to age. you should address any potential leak issues before installation. Absolutely Impossible To Find NOS. Please email with any questions.

1965 Mustang GT Shelby GT350 Cobra Fairlane NOS 289 HIPO BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "magmustangs" with a starting bid of $1,499.00:

1965 Ford Mustang, Fastback, Coupe, Convertible, GT, Shelby GT350, Cobra, Fairlane 500. NEW OLD STOCK 289 HIPO FUEL PUMP. This is an ORIGINAL FORD NOS PART. Brand New in the Box. Stamped 3939S on the flange. Button-Top Style. There are details that are not assembly line correct, but it is the correct service replacement, straight from Ford. The pump is in Show Quality NOS condition. It looks excellent without cosmetic issues. It would work fine but the seals should be inspected due to age. you should address any potential leak issues before installation. Absolutely Impossible To Find NOS. Please email with any questions.

1965 Mustang GT Shelby GT350 Cobra Fairlane NOS 289 HIPO BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP | eBay

-Fred-

The seller gives an honest description if this pump as it is a service part and NOT concurs show correct. The main kicker is the CARTER name on the casting. This logo is facing forward with nothing to obstruct the view on a Hipo 289 so there is no way to disguise it. Original 65 Hipo fuel pumps have a CARbureTER casting. This continued until early in the 1967 calendar year when the logo changed to CARTER making this pump dated way late for a 65 Kar.

I will admit that at first seeing this auction, I was ready to bid. Then I saw the CARTER casting. It is a perfectly good pump as a service part and the price seems reasonable compared to what original cores are bringing today. I have four of them currently in process for customers right now. If one of those gets sold, which I highly doubt, it would establish a new record high price for these pumps. Yes, even higher than that but thanks for playing. :)

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump received no bids by September 22, 2021 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump is back on Ebay again with no changes:

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump received no bids by September 28, 2021 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump received no bids by October 5, 2021 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This pump sold October 12, 2021 on Ebay for $1,499.00 with 1 bid from 1 bidder.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "auntiek351" with a starting bid of $299.99:

This is a NOS New Original Ford Fuel Pump for a 1965 Ford Mustang with 289 V8. This is an original CARTER Button Top fuel pump with the CARTER name and MADE IN USA cast into it. It is new in the Ford package with part number C5OZ-9510-A. It has a MOTORCRAFT logo fuel canister and comes with an NOS mounting gasket. If you have any questions please ask. Thank-you for looking. (RKPHOMEBOX40)

NOS FORD OEM 1965 MUSTANG 289 BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP C5OZ-9350-A | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS 3939-S Hipo fuel pump by Ebay member "auntiek351" with a starting bid of $299.99:

This is a NOS New Original Ford Fuel Pump for a 1965 Ford Mustang with 289 V8. This is an original CARTER Button Top fuel pump with the CARTER name and MADE IN USA cast into it. It is new in the Ford package with part number C5OZ-9510-A. It has a MOTORCRAFT logo fuel canister and comes with an NOS mounting gasket. If you have any questions please ask. Thank-you for looking. (RKPHOMEBOX40)

NOS FORD OEM 1965 MUSTANG 289 BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP C5OZ-9350-A | eBay

-Fred-

Keep in mind that although this is a 3939-S and a button top, it is NOT correct for a 1965 model. The casting of CARTER take it out of contention for being correct. The correct casting will be CARbureTER Made in USA.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!