Block with thick caps

• Looks like they may be mex caps.

Sold for <b>$610</b> by rampage_mike<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Ford 289 engine block with heavy main caps, standard bore, no cracks, nice condition,.010 to clean the cylinders, Threaded frost plugs and oil galleries. Has been out of service for some time.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

link

[Blocked Image: http://www.hipomustang.com/cgi-bin/parts/block012506-1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://www.hipomustang.com/cgi-bin/parts/block012506-2.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://www.hipomustang.com/cgi-bin/parts/block012506-3.jpg]

• Threaded freeze plugs and oil galleys???? Que pasa? That's no ordinary block prep. It takes a good size tap to thread those freeze plugs.

Edited by - round2K on 01/26/2006 13:49:35

• Looks like 302 boss plugs. I use them on any performance rebuild. I can't swear they strenghten the block, but that's what I was told years ago when I took one of my 302 boss blocks into the shop for machine work. I do know I don't have to worry about them leaking or coming out with high presure.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

No , those are Hi-Po caps and it's definitely not a Mex Block

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>Correct on the block because of the casting number. The 4th cap looks like a Mex cap because of the extra characters cast on it. The extra dots make me suspect of the others as well.

• Another block with thick caps

Sold for <b>??</b> by 0-0

Met reserve at <b>$1100</b><BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>RARE and very nice 1965 289 Hi Pro block, casting # C5AE 6015 E, date code 5-D-I. Block has been freshly bored .040, line honed and decked, has new cam bearing installed. NO sleeves or repairs! Has screw in freeze plugs.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

link

• Feel sorry for the guy, he bought a standard block, maybe HiPo, but dont think so, with a set of Mexican Main Caps. Top dollar with a .040 bore, I would pay MAYBE $250. But the block would have to match a convertible cruiser car to put a .040 in it.

Honestly, its a $200 setup.

Jerrell

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Another block with thick caps

Reserve Met reserve at <b>$1100</b>

link

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Oh boy, here we go again...Somebody's getting ripped off on the internet again. Those caps are clearly Mexican "replacements", and it's a real shame to see a <i>regular</i> 289 block getting way more $$$$ than it could ever be worth. Can you say: "fraud"?

• On Jun-22-06 at 11:03:29 PDT, seller added the following information:

IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE MAIN CAPS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH LATER MEXICAN CAPS, BID ACCORDINGLY!

On Jun-22-06 at 11:03:29 PDT, seller added the following information:

IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE MAIN CAPS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH LATER MEXICAN CAPS, BID ACCORDINGLY!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That was me. This is our thread...

<i>Item: 1965 FORD 289/271HP HIGH PRO BLOCK (4652500300)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

snell7729 is a potential buyer.

Can you restate clearly to buyers that this is NOT a 289 HiPo or K Code block and caps. That what you have is a standard block with Mexican 302 caps. You stating this is a 289/271HP is misleading and gives ammo to the buyer if he should dispute.

Jerrell Snell

Item: 1965 FORD 289/271HP HIGH PRO BLOCK (4652500300)

0-0 is the seller.

I have been told and read in Ford casting number books that a C5AE-6015-E is a hi pro block, that the last E designates that, why do you think it has Mexican caps? I looked up under Kelly hotrod and they show the C5AE-E code as the 289/271hp block.

Thanks, Roy

Item: 1965 FORD 289/271HP HIGH PRO BLOCK (4652500300)

snell7729 is a potential buyer.

C5AE-E was used in all 289 classes, 2v, 4v, 4vHiPo. This block is a run of the mill block. The screw in freeze plugs cost $20, and about $15.00 per hole to tap the block for those plugs. Please see this thread where these caps are highlighted specifically for this misunderstanding reason:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5453

Please feel free to ask any of the guys on this board for information, or you can always feel free to contact me at:

support@classic-mustangs.net

Jerrell

PS Please do not feel I am criticizing, I am only offering up this information, because if the buyer finds, the ad may have been misrepresented, then the seller, will need to recoup costs as well as shipping at sellers expense. That can be costly on a block.</i>

Jerrell

Edited by - Snell7729 on 06/23/2006 10:19:37

• Jerrell,

It's too bad the seller didn't show/include your dialogue with him on his auction page. To me, seeing that the seller included one question from another potential buyer means the seller is being selective (perhaps too nice of a word selection) about what he shows his potential buyers pool! I'm with you, this one could get ugly.

Tom

• I bid on and won the Hipo block above, the seller and I subsequently(and during the auction) found out that the caps were mexican, not Hipo. The seller has released me from my obligation to buy the block and has been very easy to deal with since we both started getting feedback about the blocks potential authenticity as a Hipo. Also the seller was labeling this based on advise from an associate of his.

Based on my experience dealing with the seller all I can say is we both learned a little more about 289 blocks, and he deserves the high rating he has on ebay.

• This used block was <b>SOLD</b> for $1825.00 by eBay seller "planman8".

<b>DESCRIPTION</b>:

Up for auction is a C5AE-6015E hipo motor block only. Dated 4L30 (Nov.30,1964). Block has been degreased, line bored, and bored .030 over with new cam bearings & freeze plugs. It has screw-in oil plugs. It has the original Ford HiPo (not Mexican block) main caps. It came out of an early 1965 "K" code Mustang. Could not find any VIN number. Just what you need to get that late 1964 or early 65 K-code rolling.

<center>

eBay link</center>

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!