Correct '66 Dearborn Oil Filler Cap??

• I need some clarification on the correct push-on Chrome Oil Filler Cap for my April '66 Dearborn kar.

It came (as i purchased it) with a chrome cap that had a large tapered radius at the top. There's a nickle size recess centered on the top with a red sticker. This was on a set of original '66 shelby OTC valve covers added to my kar early in it's life.

The replacement cap I bought for the rebuild is squared off at the top with maybe an 1/8" radius. No recess either but has a small FORD Oval stamped on center. The internal gripper fingers are not spring steel and are basically worthless. It's a FORD authorized re-pop.

The squared off version is all that I've really ever seen on these Kars but it's also the only ones reproduced that I know of.

I ran across an NOS tapered radius cap for a reasonable price but if it's not correct then I'll pass.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

• Thanks for the response guys.

Here's a link to the NOS one I found (like was on my car when purchased with the large radiused upper edge and red sticker):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/…e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's a great link to some FORD P/N's as reference (search p/n):

http://mustangservicecenter.com/inv1213b.htm

Red Dot (non-emissions):

C2SZ 6766 B 65-69 OIL FILLER CAP NON-EMISSION CHROME

HiPo (non-emissions):

C5ZZ 6766 D 65-67 OIL FILLER CAP CHROME

HiPo (w/emissions):

C5ZZ 6766 B 65-67 OIL FILLER CAP W/TUBE FOMOCO

I guess the Red Dot cap could be early HiPo for Mercury or possibly Fairlane. Could even be from a truck - who knows.

I guess i'll have to live with my junk re-pop until a NOS one comes up for a reasonable price.......

Mark

• Charles is correct. The "red dot" one is a replacement style cap that was available from Ford and Motorcraft. It was available for years and was just a nice cap that worked and was chrome plated. It was never an assembly line part (or at least it wasn't on the 65-66 cars.) We used to sell a lot of them in the 1980's when that was the only new chrome cap available.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I guess i'll have to live with my junk re-pop until a NOS one comes up for a reasonable price.......

Mark

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Which reproduction do you have? Both reproduction chrome push on caps that we carry for 65-66 models with the FoMoCo stamping are far from "junk." In fact, they are extremely nice. There are a few out there with problems though.

• Brant,

It's one I got from either NPD or local Harris Mustang about 4 yrs. ago. Has the FORD logo and is non-emissions.

It looks nice but my complaint is the stamped steel 'keeper strap' inside the bore is made from soft steel and bends. It's either too tight and won't press on (binds) or too loose and flops around. Basically has zero grip.

The originals, as I recall, have a spring steel strap that grips the ID of the filler tube by always applying outward pressure.

If yours has the spring steel keeper strap, I'll order one.

Let me know and thanks for the reply!!

Mark

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Brant,

It's one I got from either NPD or local Harris Mustang about 4 yrs. ago. Has the FORD logo and is non-emissions.

It looks nice but my complaint is the stamped steel 'keeper strap' inside the bore is made from soft steel and bends. It's either too tight and won't press on (binds) or too loose and flops around. Basically has zero grip.

The originals, as I recall, have a spring steel strap that grips the ID of the filler tube by always applying outward pressure.

If yours has the spring steel keeper strap, I'll order one.

Let me know and thanks for the reply!!

Mark

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Mark,

You are correct. I remember the ones that did not work and the clips broke. I think they may still be around.

The ones that we have from Scott Drake are super nice. The clips are spring steel. You have to tweak them on the first installation, and then there are no problems. They fit all original valve covers along with the chrome and Cobra reproductions. Probably the only valve covers that they will not fit are the Ford Racing Cobra Black Wrinkle painted valve covers. At least at one time, the oil filler tube was slightly too big on these.

[Blocked Image: http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/Assets/ProductImages/eg382.jpg]

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/CHROME-PUSH-ON-OIL-CAP-P1325.aspx

• Thanks guys for all the input and advice!!

Just ordered an Oil Cap and a few other items to complete my spring/summer task of new clutch assy., u-joints, fuel & brake lines, and a drum-to-drum concourse rear-end restoration/rebuild that included the center section.

Regards,

Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!