Bumper date codes

• I could not find a link re this in the archives. Where does one find the date codes on bumpers, and what do they look like?

I have seen paper tags on bumpers with the part numbers, but I suspect that those were for replacement bumpers. Is this how originals came off the line, or were part numbers also stamped in?

thanks!

• On a factory front bumper, the stamp is on an unused tab on the right hand side into the metal. The tab has a square hole and is located just before the big bend in the bumper. I've seen two formats; month-letter and date-number; and both month and date as numbers. I think the rear is in the license plate recess.

Jim

• I have a March Dearborn car, so I will look in the places you mentioned when I get to the shop. Hadn't checked on it before, but I read somewhere that there were codes. If you have pictures to share, that would be great - I can't seem to get a clear picture of close-ups because I lack a macro feature on my camera.

Thanks!

• My Dearborn car was built in July 64 and the rear bumper on my car doesn't have an incised date.Looks like rubber stamp deal with 4A22 off to the passenger side just outside the license plate light?This is original bumper as this car only has 9000 miles on it,quarter mile at a time.Don't have a good camera for close up.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!