A Code upgrade to K Code?

• When I purchased my 66 coupe I was told that it was original from the factory an A Code but upon order the buyer requested an upgraded engine which was completed at the dealer or atleast prior to pick up. My car was built 30 Aug 65, San Jose, so it was an early 66 model. Later, when I asked a gentleman and fellow Mustang enthusiast that was helping me to repair/restore it, he stated that it was entirely possible but that it would be noted by a label on the gas tank. The previous owner had replaced the gas tank so I have no record of this and the warranty label shows A Code. Is this possible? What recourse do I have in verifying or proving this so as not to lose points during judging? other than replacing the engine and making it a true A Code...

• You'd have to have a stack of documentation to prove this. If you look in the hi-performance parts catalog, you will see that the cost to retrofit an A code to K code specs would be about 2-3 times the cost of simply ordering a K code.

• It might be best if you determine the type of engine the car has in it. Is it really a HiPo 289? If you are unsure you can post images here and obtain help with the identification.

Not too sure about the idea of a gas tank label being the change order for the assembly line; never heard that one before.

Edited by - round2K on 04/04/2010 20:31:54

• Love the part about the change somehow being notated on the gas tank. Sounds like someone took a Corvette detail and migrated it over to another make and model.

Sorry - never IMHO happened

• Thanks...for the replies...that is why I am asking here...it sounded a little bit like bull crap to me when I heard it....he also claimed that the vehicle had been owned by Jimmie Johnson as a teenager....don't worry though....I didn't pay a premium price for it....so he didn't benefit from his tale....

However, it does now have a HiPo engine...not so sure when it was retrofited...as you can tell

I would post some pics but I am contracting in Iraq and my Stang is in Texas....maybe I will get my wife to take some.....but then again...that may be like pulling teeth to get an proper pic

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!