63 4 barrel intake manifolds

• At a swap meet this weekend a discussion came up that <b>only</b> the 1963 HiPo engines had a four barrel intake. From my reading of Bob Mannels book, I believe that the intake could be purchased over the counter or installed late in the year on production vehicles. I do not have the casting date presently of the intake in question, but it was a C3 intake with a PCV routed to the carb spacer from the ventalation hole; as pictured in Mr. Mannel's book on page 3-24, photo3C4. What are the thoughts of others?

Thanks, Joe.

• Ford offered a 4V induction kit including a cast iron intake, spacer, Autolite® 4100 carburetor, and chrome top air cleaner 1963-64 until at least the COBRA® high rise aluminum intake and Holley® for Mustang GT350® cars came out circa January 1965. The old magazine adds offered cylinder heads, engine hop up kits, dual point distributors, several induction systems, and various other performance and dress up accessories. I don’t how far back in time they started offering the iron intake upgrade kit. There is a FoMoCo® credited image on the 4V kit on page I-24 of Mr. Mannel’s book. Ford and Shelby both promoted performance and appearance upgrades heavily.

Edited by - rr64 on 02/07/2010 05:01:34

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>At a swap meet this weekend a discussion came up that only the 1963 HiPo engines had a four barrel intake.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Looks like a bit of swap meet trivia that was misinformed. Ford supplied 4V manifolds on the HiPo 289 through 1967. They also supplied the 4V manifold on the 289 A & D code engines through 1967.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

At a swap meet this weekend a discussion came up that <b>only</b> the 1963 HiPo engines had a four barrel intake. From my reading of Bob Mannels book, I believe that the intake could be purchased over the counter or installed late in the year on production vehicles. I do not have the casting date presently of the intake in question, but it was a C3 intake with a PCV routed to the carb spacer from the ventalation hole; as pictured in Mr. Mannel's book on page 3-24, photo3C4. What are the thoughts of others?

Thanks, Joe.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Reread the first line carefully, then read my interpertation - "In 1963, the only factory small block intake manifold available was the 2 barrel manifold except for the 289 HP engine which came with a 4 barrel manifold." According to Bob Mannel's book, V II, pg E-7, there is no 4 barrel manifold listed for 1963 except for the HP engine. I would have bet a case of beer that there was.

Jim

• Most early 260 powered Cobras had Ford produced iron 4V intakes but they were not standard Ford production intakes. The first customer street Cobras were finished in July 1962 in the 1963 model year. A friend's Cobra finished some time in January 1963 received a Cobra HP260 engine with a "XE" iron intake.

If you come across one of the SK or XE Cobra intakes or the XE cylinder heads that were also used please get pictures to share and as much history as possible.

• rr64.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>If you come across one of the SK or XE Cobra intakes or the XE cylinder heads that were also used please get pictures to share and as much history as possible.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

check this site out for XE 63' 289 hipo, you may have seen this before here on ekschange.

Qball

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/PDF/Prototype-1965-HiPo.pdf

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

rr64.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>If you come across one of the SK or XE Cobra intakes or the XE cylinder heads that were also used please get pictures to share and as much history as possible.

check this site out for XE 63' 289 hipo, you may have seen this before here on ekschange.

Qball

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/PDF/Prototype-1965-HiPo.pdf

Thanks. I have that site saved as a favorite already. I believe that is a prototype for 1965 production. I seek information on pre-production 1963 designs. I got to see preproduction rods, intake, and cylinder heads (ex-early Cobras) a couple of years ago but I didn't have a camera handy.

• Yes, this question is related to the 1963 4 barrel intake. I saw in Bob's book the notation for the special 260 4 barrel intake, and also the OTC kit for converting a 2-V setup to 4-V for 221, 260 and 289. I do realize that the 64-67 HiPo's came from Ford with cast iron 4-V intakes.

Joe

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!