Bell Housings

• This may be a dumb question ... I have two six bolt bell housings one is cast iron the other is aluminum. The aluminum bell has a part number C_0A-6394-A (can't read the second digit, bell was scraped in that area and made that part of the number unreadable. (bell is in good shape) I can't find anything on the cast iron bell other that the ford logo in an oval just above where the starter mounts. The dumb question, did the HiPo units use both types of bells or just one. I know that I really need the second digit to positively identify the bell but is there anyone willing to give it a shot and tell me what they think this aluminum bell originally fit.

• The C5DA alum bell was used on most all 65-67 small block Fords from Mustangs to Fairlanes etc.Including the hipos.The 3rd (D)digit stands for Falcon which used this same bell on the wide bolt pattern 65 and up Falcons .

• Production cast iron bellhousing were not used until 1965 (6-bolt) and then only on trucks. They carry a C5TA casting number initially. These are used with the big flywheel. Never used on a passenger car near as I can tell. There were some Cobra cast iron bellhousing, but these were special performance items.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!