64.5 San Jose K codes?

• The 3rd edition of the hi-po book shows 4 64.5 K code San Jose cars, but 3 of them have unit numbers beyond 125001, so the book is wrong to classify as 64.5 cars. That leaves just one, 5R08K103665. Does anyone know anything about this car and whether or not it's legit? The Jim Smart/Haskell production guide does not list any 64.5 K code San Jose cars, just D,F and U codes. Just wondering if there were actually any K 64.5's (generator cars), built at San Jose.

• My database shows 5 kars from San Jose. The one you list plus two others listed in the 4th edition 5R07K101416 and 5R07K102292. The other two are 5R07100244 65A V 46 14G 72 9 5 and 5R07K101418 65A P 89 22G 71 8 5.

• This might be a little late in posting. I own a San Jose K code date code 27G # 5R07K 102379 Hood was a 64 1/2, headlight buckets were not 45ed, had the pre 65 vents in radiator support, had 64 1/2 horns, had the early style front fenders, had the threaded pcv valve and brass fitting, had the plug pressed in the timingcase, Had an ALTERNATOR rather than a generator, had muffler behind the axle but had resonators and gt trumpets (I don't think these were factory) also had factory exhaust brackets near the tailpipe flanges like a single exhaust both sides and brackets at the 10 and 11 inch positions from the shackle with large clamps like the arvinode system around the resonators, had factory K stamped vin in axle tube?- stamp matches the engine block stamp exactly, had 15 inch wheels, early style carpet. Mine was definately a transition car. I suspect it was built around August 10-20th 1964. My former Allstate insurance agent Niel Witcher worked on the San Jose assembly line and told me he remembered working on only 2 or 3 k codes in the 2 week period of the 64 1/2 cars also there were a few hipo fairlanes built in that period. At least that's what he told me.

This lends credence to the theory that there were no Generator San Jose K codes.

Scott

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

This lends credence to the theory that there were no Generator San Jose K codes.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Your unit number puts the car in generator production. Remember that San Jose reset their numbers to 125001 when they started up the "normal" '65 model year production and started installing alternators.

Would be interested in seeing pics of various areas of your car if you're willing to share.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!