GT Authentication

• I plan to look at a Dearborn '65 K GT in a couple of weeks. Build date is mid-June 1965. Is it possible to confirm GT status without removing the 5-gauge instrument cluster? Can you feel or see with a mirror the contour and lip from underneath the dash?

I'm assuming that the fog lamp switch hole is "D" shaped on a late '65 build and should be easy to see with the switch loosened.

• The dip under the speedo cluster should be visible from underneath. Keep in mind that if the car has pony interior, this will not help in confirming a factory GT.

Have found that not all the fog light switch holes were 'D' shape.

Depending on how the car was originally equipped, it could be very difficult to determine if it was a factory GT. A '65 K code with deluxe interior and factory disc brakes would make it very tough to call.

• The car does have deluxe interior and disc brakes. So the only areas that I could confirm are the punched fog lamp wire holes in the radiator support and maybe the "D" fog switch hole.

Edited by - 65gt on 07/16/2008 13:48:38

• Keep in mind that the under dash and the front lights wiring harnesses are also unique (the fog lamp wiring is integral to both, plus the alternator guage 'loop' at the instrument cluster) to both the GT and Interior Decor Group. Those wiring harnesses are unigue and rare. Look at the fenders to see if there are bondo marks from where the running horses (yeah, it's a bolt on item). If a previous owner took the time to change all this, and all the rest of the key items are correct, call it a GT - proudly. And remember, it is a lot easier to prove a car is NOT a GT than to prove that it is.

Jim

• I forgot about the fender badge holes and quarter trim. I can't take off too many parts because the car is very nicely restored. I've owned 2 GT clones in the past and would eventually like to own a "factory" GT.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Is there a correct position for the fog light switch for a 65? Or did they put them wherever they wanted?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Early '65 GT's usually have the switch on the bottom edge of the dash. Later, including all '66 GT would have it mounted up on the left side of the dash.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

i'm sorry it is a 65. i have the D shaped hole on the underside of my dash. are you a mca judge?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes.

I'd expect the switch to be on the bottom edge on a March '65 GT. Not saying yours is wrong, just saying that it's not the norm for that time period.

So if it is mounted up on the dash you'd still have the D shaped hole also?

If you mean along the bottom of the dash, yes. The hole up on the dash may or may not have been D shape.

• i have another question regarding engine block date codes. my car was built 1965 march 27th. so i should have a block dated A,B, or C. Is a 4M30 a good date for my car? I've been told that it can be up to 90 days prior to the build date.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!