• I just purchased a 65 K conv. The vin. #s on the aprons are stamped on the back aprons-both sides. No visable vin. stamped in the usual notch at the LF fender. Both stamps are exactly the same. #s are not perfectly paralel. Both sides are deep and clean with the star at each end. If someone was was trying to re-stamp wouldn't they put it in the right place?? The block is matching vin. and the orig. tag is on the door?? Any comments? 585-330-4957 John

• The LF apron does not seem to be replaced. That's the first thing I thought, The spot welds look right and there is no grinding marks, filler or seem sealer trying to hide any repair.

Does anyone know of any other place on the unibody that the original vin. is stamped ????

• I have a 66 hartdop 'A' code with same situation as yours, mine is missing the VIN in the left hand fender notch. This is not unusual for a 40 year old plus Mustang, they don't last forever. On mine, you can see the tack welds from the fender apron to the radiator support on both side where a new apron section was installed. As long as the 'pink slip' (aka ownership documents) agree with the two stamped number, you are OK. There is a fourth VIN number located on the door data tag, and that's it. Keep in mind that the numbers were stamped by a worker who may or may not have been interested, sober or paying attention. Crooked stampings are normal, mis-stamps are rare but happened. Some owners have cut out the numbers stamped on the right hand side and re-welded them to the 'notch' area. (Don't forget to 'fill-in' the cut out hole.)

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Does anyone know of any other spot on the unibody that the vin. is stamped othe than the front apron ???????? 1965 John 585-330-4957

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

There are three VINs stamped in the unibody, two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Two of the three are on the inner aprons and are generally covered by the fenders, though not always. The alignment when stamped was not always perfect, so it is not uncommon to find the VIN misaligned with the notch on the driver side.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!