Shelby Block VIN's

• I had an interesting conversation with an engine builder/restorer of rare Fords. The conversation turned to engine identification, etc. He was of the opinion that after 65 early 66 Ford did not stamp the VIN's on blocks. We were talking about 67 "K"s and Shelbys. I did a search on this forum and there's a lot of information in regards to VIN stamps. Just looking for a quick answer. BTW in his showroom is his "real" 427 AC Cobra and a 65 GT350 that had been driven by Parnelli Jones, WOW! He is also working on a Pantera, another Cobra, and a 65 A code fastback. Has a beautiful shop, could eat off the floor!

• There is a period somewhere around December 66 where VIN's on blocks for some reason were not stamped.

At the time I was looking at a 67 GT350 and found the casting dates to be matching (heads/block, transmission)with the car but no VIN on the block. Dave MAtthews from the SAAC then confirmed that there appears to be a period where the blocks did not receive VIN's.

I cant remember the exact dates. Maybe Bob or Jeff can confirm.

Rohan

• Of course you need to be specific about what plant your discussing when subject like this come up.

There are a number of documents that speak to ALL of these engines receiving VINS (and trans also) but of course there is human error and PO claims!!

• That's what I had gathered going through some of the old posts, that ALL hipo engines, with the exception of the pre-Mustang era (sequentially numbered), came with VIN'S stamped on the block and trans, "k"s and Shelbys.

• My '67 GT350 has the Ford VIN stamped on the bottom of the transmission. As for the block, I don't know. I have owed this car since 1982 and I could never find the VIN on the block. The car was always on jack stands whenever I tried to find it and its hard to see. I never had the engine out of the car to take a closer look. Monty

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!