San Jose Build Sheets

• I have found many build sheets on Dearborn and Metuchen cars, wrapped around the wiring harness behind the gauge cluster, behind the door panels above the head liner. But of all the San Jose cars I've owned ( approximately 9), I've never found a sheet. Any clues or insight?

• Thanks for the info., I was primarily referring to 65-66 non Shelby cars.

FYI, I did find the original door ID plate from 6S031 when I helped with the restoration, it was down in the door. I've only heard of one other.

• The reason (from my observations) for the lack of buildsheets in most of the San Jose cars comes down to the reason for printing the buildsheets in the first place (general statement for all years there.

From my understanding there were many copies of each buildsheet produced for each car. The copies were sent to the areas of the plant (for the interior and drivetrain part of the assembly process). Build sheets were designed to guide the second half of the assembly.

At the subassemble points parts were combined or located then sent to the line to meet up with the car they were for. At the other plants the copy of the build sheet was often attached to the part or subassembly but at San Jose it seems that instead the rotation number from the buildsheet was written on most of the part or assembly to identify the specific car, then buildsheets were thrown away instead.

In addition, so that the parts made it to the right car) the cars second rotation number was written on the front and the rear of the car so workers could easily identify the car.

In later years we see a combination of rotation numbers and buildsheets used at the other two plants but not to the extent I've seen San Jose.

As for early Shelbys, since they were build in groups under a special order number and with the use of add/delete sheets that identified the changes and parts for the group of cars so IMHO it is unlikely that individual buildsheets were printed for each car.

In 67 it has not been uncommon for an owner of a 67 Shelby to find a copy of the Add/Delete sheet under the carpet of their car.

I have a few copies of 67 San Jose buildsheets but generally these are from odd cars rather than regular production cars.

Having spent 30+ years in and under thousands of cars I can say that San Jose buildsheets are a rare find but they did use and sometimes toss one in a car every so often

Hope this helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!