• I'm breaking down an engine I believe to be a 67 Hipo. It's a C5AE-6015E casting but lacks a casting date as usually found above the C5AE. I also checked for a VIN along the pan line, found nothing. The bottom end has the hipo rods and correct main caps. It has a windage tray attached to the journal bolts. Looking over the crank I don't see a smooth spot on the rear journal for the binnel test but it does have several ping marks (2), along the edge of the journal. I found no triangle with the hardness numbers, although the crank is still in the motor along with everything else. The only thing I found on the crank is DRE 637 stamped on the first journal (front). Also did the hipo have a specific oil pump? This one appears to have a date mark 6B with a tag HM68 and an S stamped on the bottom plate. Any help with more identifers or where to look would be appreciated. Thanks

• The oil pump sounds like Holman Moody piece. No heads?

The caps are HiPo for sure vs a Mexican add on? Balancer there? and what does it say. Also is there an assembly date stamp right above the timing cover where it mates to block water jacket

Ray

• Has assembly date of 7B15C. The only other stamp on the block is located on the passenger side next to the water pump. It's stamped on a flat boss "7AB4-289HP-360". The only other cast is the C5AE-6015E. Has original Ford not Mexican caps. Rods have some material ground off bottom (balancing?). Has counterweight (hatchet) with balancer dated L6. One hipo head dated 6M22, the other non-hipo but has screw in studs and the hipo spring set. Also removed a C6OE 6 vane 3 hole cast iron pump, S7MS intake, and open letter covers. Thanks for responding, I'd post some photos if I could figure it out.

• Terry,

The link still does not work for me. Does it work for anyone else?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• This certainly appears to have most of the correct Hipo stuff. The rods have been polished on the beams like most race builders do.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• The head is cast 65, has a date of 6M22 and is drilled and capped for smog. This is a little confusing as I thought the smog heads were C7 castings or later. Is this style correct for a 67 engine? Also I'll be looking to find a mate for this head if that's possible.

• The 67 heads did use the 65 casting number with a date code that fell into the 67 model year. The ones that have a later casting number are the C8ZE-B heads.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The head is cast 65, has a date of 6M22 and is drilled and capped for smog. This is a little confusing as I thought the smog heads were C7 castings or later. Is this style correct for a 67 engine? Also I'll be looking to find a mate for this head if that's possible.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hello Terry - I have a freshly rebuilt pair of 6M22 K code heads. I would like to trade them for a pair of 4G or 4H heads of like quality. If that would interest you let me know.

Gary

• I'll start the "head hunt", seems I seen a early pair of hipo heads listed somewhere, I look at so much automotive stuff I lose track of where I saw things. I'll let you know should I come across some. Thanks!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!