• Andrew,

I will admit I had to look it up in the Gregory Hi-Po book, but it seems they have a different Ford part number than standard flywheels and different part numbers for 64 to 66 (I would assume 63 as well), and late 66 and 67, but there is no visible difference. I don't know what that means. Here's the casting numbers which should be visible on the flywheel:

64-66 C3OE-6380-B before 7/01/66

66-67 C3OZ-6380-B from 7/01/66 to 10/010/66

67 C7ZE-6380-A from 10/01/66

The Ford Car Parts books more or less confirm the above with the service part numbers. All are supposed to be 157 tooth type, but the 65 Fairlane has a 164 tooth flywheel.

Jim

• The hipo flywheel is slightly different the standard 289 flywheel in that it has a different imbalance and most carried a brinnel test. The casting numbers mentioned are not specific to the hipo engine, the imbalance is. Do an advanced search on "flywheel" and include archived posts and you will find several discussions on a hipo flywheel.

• This is an interesting topic. One is part numbers and the other is balance and damping:

I thought all 289s were 28 inch ounce external balance with similar flywheels and that the hatchet weight on the HIPOs was to move part of the weight from the damper back to to the crank to reduce harmonics at hight revs. e.g You should only use a HIPO damper with the hatchet counterwieght and a hi-nodular hipo 289 crank and rods. I am not 100% sure, so do your own reserach, just some things to keep in mind.

• Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Just received in the mail yesterday The 289 High Performance Mustang by Tony Gregory, and it is a great surce of info - and it even agrees with your answers!

Thanks again

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!